Use JASO FB or FC oils instead of TCW3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to try my hand at adding a little TCW3 oil to my cars' gasoline (1:600 dilution) but I can't find any in this part of the earth where I live. There are, though, JASO FB AND FC rated 2-stroke oils here (Caltex, Shell, Castrol). Are these OK to use instead of TCW3? I know they are not totally ashless, but I hope they will do.

TCW3 are made for water-cooled applications and usually burn more cleanly to be cat-compatible. I'd probably stick with TCW3 unless you're catless.

Walmart, K-Mart or Meijer? Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot or Menards?

It's 2-stroke outboard oil like I used to use when I had a 2-stroke Johnson outboard. It will say TCW3 on the bottle. Mercury Quicksilver and Evinrude make a TCW3....I've even seen Pennzoil TCW3 2-stroke oil.

You can use ND SAE20 or 10 also. but I have seen no lasting benefits on a FI lambda engine. You get "TOP OIL" through your PCV and youll loose atomization of fuel with too much oil. I cant see how 1/600 would do anything whatsoever. I do put top oil in my Mower and Snowblower and Gen over the past 25 years - to who knows what benefit.
I do ike a bit of oil smoke though. Grunt, Grunt!

Last edited:
JASO FB and FC are not sootless (nor is FD) , found out the hard way when it gunked up the pipe on an old scooter
Stick with TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back