Oil discussion at the service counter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reference to this thread about the engine failure.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tim#Post3627674

I went in to check on it plus see about their policy on loaners and apparently I'd always get a free loaner in the past but now Subaru charges $35 a day. I smell something...

Either way I asked about the engine etc....A tech asked what oil I use. I said synthetic and always 5w30 with a few 0w30's Castrol being one I most used in that category. He just shook his head why would you use a 0 anything. I reply it's the cold viscosity not the operating one especially in this winter it's useful. Then he said synthetics aren't good anyway. No turbo car should use them.

I just stopped talking because literally what could I have said. So much bad knowledge in such a short time. [censored] SUBARU uses a 5w30 synthetic stock. The worst part is he is a mechanic. What other things does he have dead wrong?

This is just like a Walmart conversation when buying oil, viscosity isn't important. Oil is oil or so I'm told.

I am just curious......What was the age range of said mechanic?

I find it flat amazing that a Subaru mechanic made it through training without developing some appreciation for synthetics, especially in pressurized motors. I am hoping he is an old [censored], hung up in some old wive's tale.

He was young mid to late 20's if I had to guess. No older than myself and if he was he certainly doesn't look it.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

I find it flat amazing that a Subaru mechanic made it through training without developing some appreciation for synthetics, especially in pressurized motors. I am hoping he is an old [censored], hung up in some old wive's tale.

My friend had a WRX and was told by an engine builder to run 20w-50 conventional. Even when it's -20 in the winter. Also told to avoid synthetics as well for the turbo engine.

It was old enough that it didn't have a coolant cooled turbo, either.

^^^

crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Oil is oil. I never argue the point with old timers or full time wrenches and the like. Why? Because after years and years of using whatever is cheapest, they never have had an oil related failure. I deal with this everyday. Furthermore, to an extent, I agree with them.

Tomorrow is an expected high of 3F. There is going to be turbocharged diesels running that are sitting outside right now (heard something about -20F tonight). They might have to jump one or two. They'll start. They will work them. They will run just fine. These things have thousands of abused hours all on the cheapest, bulk oil they can find. They would laugh at me if I talked coked turbos, start up wear, etc.

Same applies to the gas engines. The company I refer to has six F-150's ranging from '99-'05 with either the 4.6 or 5.4. All spec 5W-20. They all have a mix of bulk 15W-40, 10W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-20. Depends on whether the guy driving it filled at the shop from the tank or stopped at an auto part store. What is purchased at the store depends on the mindset of the person driving the truck. These things idle incessantly. These things are abused because most of these guys just don't care. They all have well over 100k and the engine hours from idling must be off the chart. Not one has had an engine problem. Top maintenance items for all are steering, suspension, or brakes.

Just yesterday, the owner told one of the guys to grab a truck to return a pallet load of brake shoes. What did he do? Grabbed a set of keys, started it, gunned it pretty hard to blow through a berm because it was snow plowed in, let it idle while he loaded up the shoes, and hammered down. Came back and parked it.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Well to be fair, diesels tend to be built better from the start. I do see your point though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

My friend had a WRX and was told by an engine builder to run 20w-50 conventional. Even when it's -20 in the winter. Also told to avoid synthetics as well for the turbo engine.

It was old enough that it didn't have a coolant cooled turbo, either.

So......We now have two documented mechanical types that work on Subarus that do not know feces from Shinola when discussing motor oil. I suppose that is about average, considering who works on cars for a living, these days.

Let's make it three.......When I bought my '12 Outback, the salesman insisted on giving me a tour of the place. He introduced me to the service manager, who gave me a speech about making certain I brought the car in for oil changes EVERY 3000 MILES! Being a bit of a instigator, I pointed out that Subaru said 7500 miles in the manual. His comeback.......New Mexico is a very dry climate, so you absolutely have to change oil every 3k miles! (I guess in Floriduh, they have to change oil every 3k, because it is so damp!)

Last edited:
If Subaru cant train their own employees properly,how could anyone feel confident in buying one knowing that your warranty may be handled by rank amateurs? Might as well print the warranty on toilet paper.

To be honest with you I had a real uneasy feeling in my stomach about them replacing the block/heads at that point.

My next question to him was what about the turbo? Did it send metal through there as well?...They are in a holding pattern now until the warranty company approves the work.

Where in NA is it consistently -20? 20W is rated to -15, is it not? What's going to happen to the OP's engine if he puts in 20W-50?

So......We now have two documented mechanical types that work on Subarus that do not know feces from Shinola when discussing motor oil. I suppose that is about average, considering who works on cars for a living, these days.

Oil Changer said:
Where in NA is it consistently -20? 20W is rated to -15, is it not? What's going to happen to the OP's engine if he puts in 20W-50?

Most likely nothing. But is it the best choice? It is an "Old School" standby, but not the best for avoiding coking. Subaru requires synthetic in its turbo motors, and I believe they back dated the requirement, to the turn of the century.

For an engine builder to recommend against synthetics in these motors is.......Not the most useful advice.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

It was -25C here AGAIN this AM.

I'm not too sure about all this "nobody has any trouble" philosophy. We bought an '81 F150 (4.9 six) that had been a work truck for about 20 years, then used by an old retired man to tow his horse trailer for about five years after that.

It seemed to run fine aside from getting about 9mpg. Long story short, when we finally tore down the engine, it had broken rings on one cylinder (all three rings), and various other problems including horrendous sludge. It seemed impossible that it could even start, much less run as well it did.

A rebuild and manual cleanup of sludge later, the old truck has about three times as much power and gets a whopping 13.5mpg, which is good for a carbed 4.9.

I wonder how many other people are driving cars that "seem" fine but are actually only running through some kind of miracle.

Don't anybody get uppity... but there are a lot of mentally ill in the profession. No, certainly not all, but some are simply out looking for an argument. I'm guessing this one was looking for a way to blame you for whatever trouble your car had. Some seek to stroke their ego by claiming to know more than you about literally anything, even though they have no clue.

My friend runs a contracting business. The biggest challenge he has is finding employees that aren't constantly strung out on drugs.

Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where they bought second hand salon's(M3/Ford Cosworth) that you could use on a track day but drive home. None of them had anywhere near their original power output after 15 years.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Oops......I just realized......It was you that recommended the 20W/50 in the WRX, wasn't it? (Just kidding.....Calm down.)
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back