letter from purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my response from them. It is a little old, but I had to figure out how to get this posted.

SCAN0002-page-001_zps4186721f.jpg

SCAN0002-page-002_zps45c0578a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Purolator Mann Hummel must be going nuts trying to figure out why many of their oil filters are coming apart. That letter basically says nothing.

It's kind of old and doesn't say much except that they know there is a problem, they don't know what causes it and they offer stupid answers for how to possibly prevent it.

Pure ignorance.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Obviously their letter didn't go through any QC for spelling and/or grammar.

That's because "I am new here as Quality Manager."
smile.gif

I've been using pure 1 filters for years and have recently converted everything over to WIX. Purolator has lost me as a customer as long as WIX continues making quality filters.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Purolator Mann Hummel must be going nuts trying to figure out why many of their oil filters are coming apart. That letter basically says nothing.

They could probably care less.

My unwanted, unwelcome, and unsolicited opinion on Mann-Hummel: Arrogant German company that makes some of the very best oil filters to be found with their W-series; who treat the whole of the Americas like a bunch of uneducated hillbillies with their cost-cuts-are-us Mann ML-series and Purolator Classic lines. The local Autozone sells Mann ML-series by the 24-pack for $2.06 each. No thanks, when I need to sink low enough to buy filters at a big box store I get the Fram OCODs individually at Walmart for $2.13 each.

Twenty years ago my Dad was a Purolator-hater but had a neutral opinion about Fram. I guess he could see the future. I never used Fram at the time because of the OCOD myth. One day I asked him why we didn't use Purolators, he replied that they were garbage.

Today I put one of my last Bosch 3311 Premium filters on my lawn mower engine. The one I bought for my Toyota. I think it will do OK, the oil capacity is less than a quart, and the tiny oil pump probably won't stress the thing. After reading the letter, I am even more in the, "I am never using one again" camp. The Quality Manager didn't go to elementary school in America, or what?

What's there to figure out??!

Here's your "root cause":

Wide pleat spacing with a brittle media. There's your root cause.

Now fix it!

First, this letter is from August of 2014. Your just now posting it? Why wait so long? Second, it would be ridiculous to think that they (or any other company who had a product called into question) would say anything different. What are you expecting? Maybe they haven't identified the problem or maybe they have. But every company will cycle a letter through a legal department and edit it to say...well absolutely nothing. They acknowledged you and tried to resolve the issue. I'm not sure what everyone around here is expecting, but this is about the best you could hope for.

Great letter.... But it's a little late when i called i got nothing from them...

I will say thanks to Purolater"s quality issues i picked up a Fram Ultra to cut open but it impressed me so much out of the box i decided to use it for 7000 miles just to see what i think and then cut it open and post my findings. It looks and feels like a quality filter. It will be on a truck that i can see the oil pressure and listen to start up and other noises with my trained ears. I am one of those that said many times that i would never think of using a fram but this filter may change my mind altogether. I also like that Fram has Jay there to answer questions about their products and honestly so far he tells it like it is... This Impressed me.

Originally Posted By: webfors
What's there to figure out??!

Here's your "root cause":

Wide pleat spacing with a brittle media. There's your root cause.

Now fix it!

Exactly ... not rocket science.

BTW, most of those words in the letter were posted here by a member that he had received in an email around Mar-Apr 2014. I'm sure it's their "standard response letter" for anyone bringing the media tearing concern to Purolator.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Great letter.... But it's a little late when i called i got nothing from them...

I will say thanks to Purolater"s quality issues i picked up a Fram Ultra to cut open but it impressed me so much out of the box i decided to use it for 7000 miles just to see what i think and then cut it open and post my findings. It looks and feels like a quality filter. It will be on a truck that i can see the oil pressure and listen to start up and other noises with my trained ears. I am one of those that said many times that i would never think of using a fram but this filter may change my mind altogether. I also like that Fram has Jay there to answer questions about their products and honestly so far he tells it like it is... This Impressed me.

I'm betting you'll like it even better after 7,000 miles and a cut open and inspection.

It's not about FRAM.

Hopefully Purolator will get back on track soon.

The world needs a good US built $3.27 oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back