2002 Honda Insight (hybrid) - 5w-20 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2002 Honda Insight (hybrid) that has a rear main leaking. He is currently doing an Auto-Rx clean cycle using the OEM specified 0w-20 oil that is only available as a full synthetic. Is there any reason to believe that switching to a 5w-20 convention would do harm on a temporary or permanent basis? I know the economy is likely to be reduced and because thee gas engine isn't running constantly it takes long to reach operating temperatures, but that's different than being damaging to the motor. Auto-Rx recommends conventional even after the treatment.

Thoughts?

I used 5W20 exclusively on my 2003 Civic Hybrid. Honda 0W20 was too expensive at the time (or maybe I was too cheap). Sold it at 300000 km and it did not burn a drop of oil.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
A friend of mine has a 2002 Honda Insight (hybrid) that has a rear main leaking. He is currently doing an Auto-Rx clean cycle using the OEM specified 0w-20 oil that is only available as a full synthetic. Is there any reason to believe that switching to a 5w-20 convention would do harm on a temporary or permanent basis? I know the economy is likely to be reduced and because thee gas engine isn't running constantly it takes long to reach operating temperatures, but that's different than being damaging to the motor. Auto-Rx recommends conventional even after the treatment.

Thoughts?

Honda didnt spec 0W20 oil until 2011. You are worried about harm that a 5W20 will do versus an Auto-RX cycle?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They had 0w20 oil as spec in 2002?

I guess so.
Where did you get the idea it calls for 0w20 instead of 5w20?

I had my friend double check the owners manual and it says 0w-20 if available but 5w-20 or 30 can be used. I was going with what he told me...question answered.

Thoughts?

Switching between conventional and synthetic doesn't create any problem inside the engine. I did that to my LS400 many times and no problem after 37x,xxx miles.

I switched dino syn several times in my S2000 and no problem either.

Last edited:
They had 0w20 oil as spec in 2002?

Where did you get the idea it calls for 0w20 instead of 5w20?

The OP is correct. My 2000 Insight calls for 0w-20. And always has. Here are links to the pamphet that came with the car. If you look closely, you can see a 1999 copyright on the pamphlet.

Previous Post on BITOG with links to Pamphlet

-Bryan

Against all odds the auto-rx treatment seems to have worked for the rear main seal. I think the small oil capacity of the car may have offset using the wrong application and only using one bottle. The car was leaking about a half quart per week during the treatment and seems to have pretty much stopped when switched out for 5w-30 conventional that is allowed in the owners manual. My friend will likely give 5w-20 conventional a shot on the next round.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I would use Valvoline MaxLife from this point out in 5w-20 or 5w-30 to help maintain that seal.

Probably a good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back