Automatic Transmission Moaning Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu. It has the 3100 V6 and the 4T40E transmission. The car has 222,000 miles on original drive train. So lately, when I'm accelerating(from either a stop, or a roll at low speeds) the transmission is making a moaning/whining noise. It starts when I take off in first, and the pitch of the noise changes every time it shifts gears. The noise then stays the same when the torque converter locks up and eventually the noise dissipates above 40 MPH. Its even more audible on a hill (the noise changes depending on throttle, and load) and it can be heard the most when I slow down, to say 15, then gently accelerate back to speed. The noise completely goes away if I shift it into neutral while its making the noise (I know, thats not good for the transmission) The maintenance wasn't the best for the first 150,000 miles, as my grandma that I bought the car from thought you never had to change the transmission fluid lol, and that makes me sick. I'm very religious on maintenance and fluid changes. So It was run on original fluid for 150,000 miles. The fluid was severely burnt, but there wasn't any metal in the pan. The factory transmission cooler was also clogged up, so I put an aftermarket one on. I've changed the fluid 3 times since then with 222,000 miles. I am currently running Valvoline Maxlife Dex-Merc, as I read it was good stuff, and a bottle of Lubegard Red. It shifts beautifully now, although when the torque converter locks up, I seems slow or weak, and it seems to slip out of lockup some when given gas. I am suspecting a bad torque converter for the noise...or am I completely on the wrong path. So sorry this is so long! I just wanted to give the most details. Thanks so much!

try a filter and trans fluid change it could be the filter is really clogged but it sounds like the trans
Rebuilt wholesale is around $900.00

Wow! 222,000 miles on a 3.1L!?

Who know how much longer it'll last. I'd run it til it dies.

221,000 on a 3.1 is nothing those engines run forever some of them had issues with intake gaskets but those are very solid engines.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tripleedgeperformance.com%2F4T65E-Common-Problems.html#2712

Very similar to the 4T65e, here is the quote from above.

Loud Whining, changes with engine speed:

This is another common occurance in this transmission and has a lot of different possibilities. There are a number of different bearings that can fail inside the transmission and each one will dictate when and where the noise is happening. There is a thrust bearing inside the torque converter that can also make a whining noise and is loudest under a heavy load. Generally that bearing will get louder each time the transmission shifts into a higher gear and the converter has to work harder and puts more stress on it. It wont make noise at idle or in neutral unless the entire torque converter is in very bad condition and has lots of metal in it. The most common bearing whine noises comes from the roller bearings that support the drive and driven sprockets which the drive chain rides on. They will make noise any time except sitting still in any gear, that is because nothing inside the transmission is spinning at this time. In park and neutral they do spin and when the noise is most visable. There are quite a few other bearings inside the trans but these are the common ones found bad. Often there are misdiagnosed noises from the engine that are the source of the whining noises and they should be rechecked and ruled out before settling on the transmission being the cause. Idler pullies on the front of the engine are very easy to overlook and can be decieving as far as the noise they can emit. Often noises like this can only be pinpointed with a stethoscope and they can be purchased at a fairly low cost at most auto parts stores and are a great aid in finding the source of the noise.

Wow! Thanks! Yes 222,000 on a 3.1L! That little engine still pushes my car to 60 in just over 8 seconds! There is just something about driving a 3100. It just sounds like no other V6. My fluid and filter is brand new, but I've never ever seen any trace of metal in the pan or filter, and the magnet was clean also.

Well they sound just like every other 60 degree v6 GM made. We had a 2.8 Fiero when I was a kid that sounded just like my Lumina 3.1 and later my 3100 Monte Carlo.

For me the old workhorse 3800 was the GM v6 I much preferred. Especially the series 1. We had a Riviera with one that went almost to 300k before the trans in it died and we junked it.

Hahaha!! Yes they do sound beast. Have you ever put a cold air, or just a short ram intake on yours? That is just an amazing sound!

Yeah I guess so. Personally I've driven a 3800 in a lesabre before, and I still prefer the 3100. The buick seemed to have more torque, but same horses. What I meant was that the 3100 sounded better than any other V6 non GM. All GMs sound good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
Hahaha!! Yes they do sound beast. Have you ever put a cold air, or just a short ram intake on yours? That is just an amazing sound!

No just left it stock. I gave up on the 60 degree GM engine when the camshaft snapped in half on the Monte Carlo...a known problem for that year. I always spent money on my V8's instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back