Are car makers bored or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I liked about the Ranger was they had something good and resisted changing it.

It seems that every year introduces changes. So, maybe the model may not change for four years, but engine updates, new headlight styling, etc.

You'd kind of figure they could design a good car, build it and keep building it and maybe take on feedback or perfect a defective part every four years, then keep carrying the torch.

I liked that about my old motorbike. The only differences from 97-05 was bodywork decals. I think they got it right and kept it going....I bought two of them.

Do new car buyers, who I guess is all that matters to automakers (even though us 2nd handers pay the parts dept., care that much about the latest and greatest? Sure it has 20 more horsepower but only at redline, yet the lower half of the powerband suffers.

Is it all in my head that in older times, stuff got better with each redesign and now it is just a way to build it cheaper? Are the bean counters and advertising executives running the show?

It's all touchscreens and backup cameras and other stuff that'll be obsolete in two years.

I still figure the azimuth of car design was around 1990-1995. We had port fuel injection and distrbutorless ignition, light weight, good visibility, good MPG, and adequate safety.

I'm going south this spring to pick up a cherry, rust free example. What, yet, I don't know.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's all touchscreens and backup cameras and other stuff that'll be obsolete in two years.

I still figure the azimuth of car design was around 1990-1995. We had port fuel injection and distrbutorless ignition, light weight, good visibility, good MPG, and adequate safety.

I'm going south this spring to pick up a cherry, rust free example. What, yet, I don't know.
laugh.gif

+1, Agreed!

We finally had vehicles that were returning decent MPG, a decently designed and implemented fuel injection system where valves weren't crudding up.

Now we have DI and turbo everything. Not that I really hate turbos or DI that much, but what's the 150k DI engine going to be like. Is a Saturday afternoon tune-up going to be pulling the heads and a B12 Chemtool/Seafoam soak?

Whoops, correction -- pulling the head, singular.

Because it's going to be turbo 4 or turbo 3 everything.

Sadly, people find the allure of flashy touchscreens and interiors as a better car, yet they have no proof.
More so, as time goes on, I am sure it is now much cheaper replacing all that wiring, switches and levers with a single microprocessor to handle all the controls. People think of that as more modern but in reality many of (not all by any means) are inferior to manual controls and switches.
Thing is, most people (more so lately) get lured into these things on leased cars, they don't own them and will disposed on them in 3 to 5 years.

Seeing push buttons, levers and switches in some new high end cars truly looks classy and inviting, it also makes it easier to control the various functions of the car, now there is a concept, individual switches and levers for specific funtions!
Sadly you are only to be able to have that on the high end luxury market (BMW etc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Sadly, people find the allure of flashy touchscreens and interiors as a better car, yet they have no proof.

Hard to find proof of something that's completely subjective and opinion-based...

Give me a bare bone car with good mileage a reliable transmition/engine and a comfortable seat. That's all I look for, for years it seemed like every major manufactor was trying to see who could put the biggest engine in the smallest truck.

Iv always liked the 90's model myself. Good mix of easy to fix and reliability.

How about the chevy c/k series trucks that ran from 1973-1987 and through 1991 with some models. They had a pretty basic rugged reliable vehicle platform and they just kept with it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Give me a bare bone car with good mileage a reliable transmition/engine and a comfortable seat. That's all I look for, for years it seemed like every major manufactor was trying to see who could put the biggest engine in the smallest truck.

Iv always liked the 90's model myself. Good mix of easy to fix and reliability.

You must follow the marketing. They will tell you what kind of car you like and what you need in the way of gadgets. They know better and will help you out so you don't have to think. They take the time to figure out what makes them the most money and then they figure out how to sell it to you. All you have to do is follow directions. For instance, lane departure and GPS is just the beginning. Soon the manufacturers will combine with the government and politicians to better guide you from day to day. If you don't take the shortest way to a place that's on your government approved plan of the day you will be notified and if you exceed the speed limit your government approved bank account will be debited. If you set your A/C too low your setting will automatically corrected. If you resist your tax bracket will be adjusted so that you will finally have your mind in the correct place. Please, wait until your notification arrives so that you will know when it's time to purchase that next new car. And don't worry about the cost. The payments will be automatically debited from your account based on your government status classification.

Originally Posted By: redhat
We finally had vehicles that were returning decentxx MPG, a decently designed and implemented fuel injection system where valves weren't crudding up.

Now we have DI and turbo everything. Not that I really hate turbos or DI that much, but what's the 150k DI engine going to be like. Is a Saturday afternoon tune-up going to be pulling the heads and a B12 Chemtool/Seafoam soak?

DI in Europe works good for years now. Problems with this system in US is fuel trimming that's needed to pass emission tests. Combine rich mixture trimming (running cold) with poor quality high sulphur fuel, and engine oils with NOACK in average range of 14 and slow driving on top of all that no wonder this engines have issues with carbonised intake ports.

Last edited:
I talked with buddies at work the other day about new trucks and I said I had rather have my old 1987 than a new one
I have it fixed the way I want it and I like the way it rides and drives-like a truck-not a fancy leather seated,rear camera viewing,power everything car with a bed attached

GM is starting to put 4G internet in their new vehicles. With Onstar 4G, it appears to be provided by ATT. this is more features to modernize vehicles with the latest technology.

Japanase standards for keeping used cars on the road are very high. Cars are junked for body defects. It encourages new sales and as an aside makes used engine and driveline parts an export item. What effect that will have on the long term quality of the Japanese car is questionable but apparently they think it's good for their domestic car makers. The easier it is to "recycle" a car the quicker they'll be "encouraged" off the road. No doube THIS US clown car of a government can't wait to get more remote monitoring systems in EVERY car.

MPG, interior build quality(domestics), and safety are the new norms. I personally think cars have improved significantly recently especially when you look at best sellers like Accord and Camry and even Altima(sort of).

I think large trucks have morphed into something else.

I think it is interesting that two of the biggest sellers of all times (Ford Model T and Willys JEEP) were simple, reliable vehicles that were about as complicated as a toaster oven.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
How about the chevy c/k series trucks that ran from 1973-1987 and through 1991 with some models. They had a pretty basic rugged reliable vehicle platform and they just kept with it.

And they're resisting the stupidity of moving to aluminum.

All that work, and extra cost. 81 pounds lighter than a comparable Silverado. What a sad joke.

If only Ford could figure out how to build an F150 made out of steel, that wasn't morbidly obese.

Oh wait... they couldn't.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

The backup cameras are really nice!
The rest, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back