Oil for Chinese scooter? (GY6 50c knockoff engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine (seriously) has an Italica IT50QT 50cc scooter that has a Chinese knockoff of the GY6 engine as its power plant. Anybody know the oil spec for these engines? Can't find any data on this model searching the Internet. Is there an oil filter? Hoping someone familiar with this thing will know.

I have spare VR1 Synthetic, and this scooter doesn't take much. Air cooled 49.7cc, CVT trans.

I'd go with a motorcycle oil or basic 15w40. You can't beat GY6s great long lasting fan cooled engine.

You could even go 20w50 for Florida heat. A nice robust oil on top of the fan cooling. Good stuff.

I would put 10w30 in it. Nothing thicker than 10w40. Its only a 50cc four stroke and a thicker oil will kill the power. Its not going to get hot enough to abuse that oil. That engine will stay much cooler than a generator or a lawnmower engine and they spec 5w30.

Well, since it'll take it, I'll just toss in the VR1 20/50 synthetic, since we already have a bunch of it for the bikes.

I just ordered a 100 cc punch out kit, so if it's slow with the VR1, it won't be for long.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would put 10w30 in it. Nothing thicker than 10w40. Its only a 50cc four stroke and a thicker oil will kill the power. Its not going to get hot enough to abuse that oil. That engine will stay much cooler than a generator or a lawnmower engine and they spec 5w30.

Probably do fine on 5w30 for sure, but I've never seen a Chinese version of a GY6 'recommend' other than 10w30, just like every other small air cooled Chinese import engine.

As far as heat generated? I agree that they should run cooler, given the forced air cooling system on them, but with say a 200lb+ rider on the scooter in FL heat, things will get toasty.

QMB139 (GY6 50cc) should be fine on 10W40.

I installed a 70cc kit on mine. It always had a "tick" after my build. Even when I pulled it back apart and changed the cam guides and cylinder head (QMB139 parts are cheap). The tick was least audible on 10W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back