Old Mobil 1 commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored]! Back in 1976, you could get away with any claims. Nobody cared to investigate and everyone believed it!

Back then I believe only Mobil 1 grade available was either 0W20 or 5W20 and popular conventional grade then was 10W40. xW20 can get better than 10 extra miles per tank full of gas.

Yeah, i think you can claim anything on TV. Remember those late night infomercials of the early nineties? Motorup, prolong, duralube, some paint treatment where they put a truck hood in the salty ocean, man I sure did love watching them over and over! Guess im kind of glad that i was too young to drive or I might have wasted my money.

Oh yeah, I did......the tornado intake metallic circle, Morose cold air intake, hypertech programmer with colder thermostat, $700 Borla catback, $500 Centerforce clutch, air foil,... I wasted alot of money, wished i would have put more of it into car audio.

295 Centigrade, thats 563 Fehrenheit.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Say it ain't soooo!!!
I always thoughts these were all true and now your telling me no.

What about the leather tear repair kits?

Anyone remember the Shell w/Platformate. This was Shell's very detailed (for TV anyway) attempt to persuade people that their gas would provide better mileage.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Back then I believe only Mobil 1 grade available was either 0W20 or 5W20 and popular conventional grade then was 10W40. xW20 can get better than 10 extra miles per tank full of gas.

In 1978 I used 10-40 Valvoline in my 78 Dodge 1/2 ton truck with the slant 6 engine. I switch to M1 5-20(the only wt they had) and I got 15-20 miles more per tank of gas.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Anyone remember the Shell w/Platformate. This was Shell's very detailed (for TV anyway) attempt to persuade people that their gas would provide better mileage.

Here is one of them...

Heh...Vic Tayback before he became slightly famous as diner owner Mel Sharples in "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and the subsequently spawned TV series "Alice".

Oh...and of course M1 gives an extra 10MPT
smirk.gif

No I don't think so.

5W30 and 15w50

OW20 and 5W20 did not exist.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

No I don't think so.

5W30 and 15w50

Wrong......the original Mobil 1 was 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

No I don't think so.

5W30 and 15w50

Wrong......the original Mobil 1 was 5W-20.

Yep, it was.

http://www.mobil.com/australia-english/lcw/files/MPVL000226_TManual_small.pdf

And Nissan specced 5W20 back in 1969...for temps that didn't get even close to freezing, but they obviously weren't making the spec up.

5W20 good for a max of 10F

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Hermann

Here is one of them...

All that video proves is that you can save gas by tailgating. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back