cost to read ABS codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the ABS light on constantly, and my OBD2 scanner doesn't read ABS codes. I checked with a local service place, they wanted $116 to read the codes, which seems ridiculous to me. Am I wrong, or what's a normal charge I should expect?

Don't places like AutoZone or Advance Auto read codes for free?

Or are these some mfg-specific codes that only a specialized reader will pick up?

Try calling a few different shops. There may be a wide variety of pricing. Usually that price can be worked into cost of repair to encourage you to get it repaired there.

My local Autozone and O'reily's couldn't read ABS codes. I found a brand new ACTRON CP9580 on Ebay for 149.00 shipped. It does ABS, BCM, and ECM codes. Worth every penny, most places around here charge a flat 90 to 120 for diagnosis. So 149.00 seems worth it.

Many Toyotas self read by blinking the ABS light a corresponding number of times when a couple of connector pins are shorted.

Originally Posted By: neo3
they wanted $116 to read the codes, which seems ridiculous to me.

It's meant to be "ridiculous".

It's meant to scare off those time-wasters who only want the dealer to read the codes and then they go away, either to get another quote, or to try and fix it themselves. And there are a LOT of owners like that!

The reading-codes cost is usually waived or refunded if you get that dealer to fix the problem for you.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
It's meant to be "ridiculous".

It's meant to scare off those time-wasters who only want the dealer to read the codes and then they go away, either to get another quote, or to try and fix it themselves. And there are a LOT of owners like that!

The reading-codes cost is usually waived or refunded if you get that dealer to fix the problem for you.

Yup, lots of tire kickers in the repair business. We waive the diag if you fix it. Just remember the hour diag isn't just pulling codes. It includes busting out the shop manual and following the flow charts and using a DVOM to find the actual cause of the problem.

Autozone, Oreillys and the like only read CEL codes, not ABS. Go to harbor freight. You can buy (after sales ads and coupons) a scanner for CEL, ABS, SRS and transmission codes for about $110. Thats what I did and it works great on all OBD2 vehicles. If you go to a break shop or mechanic, they will charge at least $50 to scan it. Get your moneys worth and buy the tool!

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60796.html

The HF one works just fine for his application. You may be surprised by all the features it has for the cost. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound its hard to beat. Its not junk like the rest of HF products.

Buy a scanner at Harbor Freight for about $125. Then charge yourself $116 to read the codes. You'll have made back most of your investment and next time it will be almost free. And maybe a friend needs a reading and you can be a good guy and do it for a beer.

Yes, which car are you talking about. For instance, you can get Forscan which only works on Ford cars, but I believe it does read ABS codes and the program is free, just have to get the cable. Also I just got an X431 Easydiag code reader, reads standard OBDII codes for free, but for another $40, will read specific manufacturer codes. About $25 or so on aliexpress, works with Android or Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back