Filter Heat-Sink for ATF Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about using one of these for added ATF cooling
with a spin-on filter? If it was mounted in the
airstream, seems like it would add cooling with
filtration all in one.

41ZPcJkqPgL.jpg

Generally if your vehicle really needs cooling a dedicated cooler is fine. Just don't forget the thermostat.

IME just setting up a remote filtration system alone can drop temps several degrees even without cute lil fins...

that is a terrible design. You'd need a very good thermal paste, most likely an epoxy to get any sort of good thermal contact between the filter housing and the heat sink. The paint on the filter can also presents thermal conductivity problems.

This is the equivalent to a ricer mod. Nothing real can be gained from it other than the sight of it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
that is a terrible design. You'd need a very good thermal paste, most likely an epoxy to get any sort of good thermal contact between the filter housing and the heat sink. The paint on the filter can also presents thermal conductivity problems.

This is the equivalent to a ricer mod. Nothing real can be gained from it other than the sight of it.

I had wondered about the thermal conduction. Looks like it might insulate rather than cool...?
But darn, it would sure look good mounted in the center of the
lower grill opening for all the world to see...

Originally Posted By: badtlc

=1 on the thermal paste. I doubt filter dimensions are exact enough to get the close tolerance necessary for conduction to take place, and too much paste can be as bad as not enough. Nice color, though.

Last edited:
You'd be better off with a remote in line filter with a huge colorful filter. Iincreased capacity and filteration will lower the temps and keep your system much cleaner. If you really wanted to cool things off you could add a true radiator with thermostats and wire in a fan to a controller on the dash. With the in line cooler down stream of it you could increase cooling capacity and volume of fluid.
However this would only be needed on motorhomes and heavy loaded applications.

I cant see that doing anything whatsoever besides making it easier to spot the filter.

Transmissions have factory coolers which are normally good enough. If the vehicle is used for towing, add an auxiliary cooler.

Adding auxiliary coolers is where I get confused though. Seems like it would be a good idea to add a thermostat so the fluid isnt over cooled, but others seem to recommend putting the cooler before the factory cooler.

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
How about using one of these for added ATF cooling
with a spin-on filter? If it was mounted in the
airstream, seems like it would add cooling with
filtration all in one.

41ZPcJkqPgL.jpg

Has anyone seen any data as to how much the temperature is lowered and under what conditions.

Cute, but I doubt it would lower temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back