Batteries: Motorcraft vs Mopar

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So I've concluded the Charger needs a battery. It is getting weak. I've had exceptional luck with Motorcraft batteries so I'm tempted to just see if Ford has a cross for it and use that. However, I can get the Mopar battery a lot cheaper. Is there any compelling reason for me to choose the Motorcraft over the Mopar other than my past experience?

I would assume the Charger uses a standard battery. As long as there is a Ford product that uses the same size battery, you should have no issue getting one.

Motorcraft batteries have a reputation for lasting quite a white. With that said, if you can't get a Motorcraft battery ... I wouldn't try to get a Mopar battery.

Once you find a good battery I'd stick with that.

I've had excellent service from AAP gold and silver series at very good prices so that's what I'm staying with.

That being said if research showed the Mopar battery was made by the same manufacturer and/or it was significantly cheaper(33% or more) it might make more sense to do that.

I just found out hyundai oem batteries have a 2 year warranty and are considered a wear item :p as are the radios.. America's best warranty my ***

Unless you get an Interstate (always made by JCI) one cannot assume a given brand of battery will be made by the same company it was made by 5 or 7 years ago and thus if you got long life out of a certain brand for your last battery that you will get the same for the next battery (of same brand).

Consume Reports has the Walmart MAXX at the top of the heap for most group sizes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Unless you get an Interstate (always made by JCI) one cannot assume a given brand of battery will be made by the same company it was made by 5 or 7 years ago and thus if you got long life out of a certain brand for your last battery that you will get the same for the next battery (of same brand).

Consume Reports has the Walmart MAXX at the top of the heap for most group sizes.

I don't shop Walmart, so that's out. The last Motorcraft I bought (last year) for the Expedition, looks the same as the original Motorcraft I took out of it that was 8 years old prior to my bad experience with an Exide. I don't believe the Motorcraft battery has changed manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I don't shop Walmart, so that's out. The last Motorcraft I bought (last year) for the Expedition, looks the same as the original Motorcraft I took out of it that was 8 years old prior to my bad experience with an Exide. I don't believe the Motorcraft battery has changed manufacturers.

Exide's are terrible. I've never had one that didn't make tons of fuzz on the terminals.

I had very bad experiences with wal-mart batteries 10 years ago or so. Also I think they use several manufacturer's.

Interstate are ok but nothing special. Went through 3 in 7 years in an infrequently used vehicle.
This was one of the 150$+ models in a chevy lumina.

The parasitic draw was very low.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Exide's are terrible. I've never had one that didn't make tons of fuzz on the terminals.

00O0O_9TKNPGIlk9M_600x450.jpg

This is an 8 month old exide! Look at all the corrosion that dripped off the sides already.

I "don't have a dog in the fight", but why wouldn't you consider shopping at WalMart if they have a suitable replacement? *I* feel like, if the battery fails on me, there's almost a WalMart on every corner so to get a replacement is a snap!

Just a thought.

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

I "don't have a dog in the fight", but why wouldn't you consider shopping at WalMart if they have a suitable replacement? *I* feel like, if the battery fails on me, there's almost a WalMart on every corner so to get a replacement is a snap!

Just a thought.

smile.gif

Ed

There's also a Ford or Chrysler dealer around too
wink.gif
I don't do the big box store thing; I avoid it whenever possible. Just a personal decision.

Is there a private battery distributor around? There's a JCI distributor right by where I work. I'm going to be buying a battery there in the fall for the Focus.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Just a thought.

smile.gif

Ed

I do not have Walmrt on the top of my list, but if they have the best price on a product I want, then I will shop there except around Christmas as the lines are just too long to endure.

All my factory Motorcraft batteries have given me at least 8 years of trouble free service. The one Motorcraft replacement battery I bought lasted less. But that could have been because I started storing the car in the winter in a heated garage without a battery minder/tender attached. I use one now
smirk.gif

Whimsey

On my Dakota I got the Mopar replacement. They've always lasted 7-8 years for me. Price wise, it was a no-brainer.

Speaking from my experience; Walmart Everstart = (N)Everstart. The battery in my FX4 lasted a little over 4 years, but the heat of my area likely killed it early. I replaced it with a Gold from AAP.

I replaced the Mopars with Motorcrafts in my Ram. I liked them enough to buy one for my Toyota. On sale, they cost less than Mopar and have a longer warranty.

Years ago I worked at an auto shop that sold AC Delco and Exide batteries. The AC Delco batteries always EXCEEDED their warranty, the Exide batteries NEVER made it to the end of their warranty and left many a [censored] off customer stranded. Not sure if that still applies or not today.

Every OEM battery I have owned has outlived the warranty period so I doubt you could go wrong there.

Ive always heard, and have had positive experiences with Motorcraft batteries. The one on my wifes Fusion up and hit the bed one day...less then 2 years old at the time. I suppose it could happen to any brand. The one in my truck is still going strong. I would still choose Motorcraft over any other replacements.

I had Motorcraft group 49 in my E430 for 3-4 years now, I believe it is made by JCI. So far there is no problem with it and I hope I can get 6-7 years out of this battery.

I have no experience with Mopar battery, previous batteries in the E430 were Mercedes and lasted about 4-5 years.

Talked to my buddy the service manager and he said the OEM batteries always last 7-8 years in his experience. He thinks the one in the Charger is original (from 2006). If that's the case, then I have no problem using another OEM battery. I'm going to pick it up now.

I put a Motorcraft in my F150 last year after the factory original when dead. Motorcraft had the best warranty of all the batterys I looked at and priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back