2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Fluid replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to have the transmission, transfer case and differential fluids replaced in my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 Limited 4x4 with Selec-Trac. I have two options I am considering:

1) The dealer quote is for MOPAR ATF+4 in the transmission/transfer case and 75W90 OEM MOPAR synthetic fluid in the differentials.

2) An independent that specializes in Jeep and is using Valvoline products to include Valvoline ATF+4 in the transmission/transfer case and Valvoline 75W85 synthetic fluid in the differentials; they also put BG LSII synthetic conditioner (BG328) in the differentials.

I am hoping to get everyone's opinions/advice on Valvoline 75W90 with BG conditioner vs MOPAR OEM 75W85 fluid.

-Would you be concerned about using Valvoline vs OEM fluids?
-Any concern (warranty) about 75W90 vs 75W85?
-Any concerns about adding the BG LSII synthetic conditioner?
-Is the MOPAR fluid that much better? The price is about 33% more if I go with the dealer versus the independent. I am okay with spending more if "you get what you pay for"
-I know that additives aren't thought well of, but I would like to get everyone's thoughts.
-Also, I plan to keep this vehicle a long time.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no issue stepping up to 75w90 from 75w85.
BG LS conditioner isn't needed. Valvoline has conventional, blend, and full synth 75w90. Use the full synth. It already has LS additive.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/gear-oil/59

Valvoline ATF+4 is good. No additional atf additives, flush chemicals, conditioners... are needed.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/32

And if they find any suspension or driveline zerks
http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/grease/63

Your Jeep wont know the difference. The only difference with the Mopar fluid is a lighter wallet IMO. Do the diffs require the conditioner? Older Grands with the vari lok (LSD) diffs needed a special Mopar fluid for the clutch packs and had no substitutes. I can't remember if yours is electronic or not.

ATF+4 is the same thing regardless of brand.. Mopar to Supertech.. its all the same.

For the diffs, the service manual for my Jeep says to use Mopar xxw-xx or equivalent. Perhaps your Jeep is the same?

For the differentials, Jeep calls for Mopar® Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-85 Mopar p/n 05136035AA (MSRP $45.45 per quart) and no mention of ELSD.

A bit more info ...

-Front axle - 195mm FIA with capacity: 1.2 qts. (1.1L)

Axle ratio: 3.07:1

The 195 MM FIA (Front-Independent-Aluminum) axle is an independent assembly with an aluminum housing and differential.

-Rear axle - 215mm RII with a capacity of 1.3 qts. (1.2L)

Axle ratio: 3.06:1

The 215 MM RII (Rear-Independent-Iron) axle is an independent assembly with a cast iron housing and differential. The 215 MM RII uses an open differential which is supported by two tapered roller bearings located on either side of the case.

Got to love the Mopar Gear Lube for only $45.45 per quart.
wink.gif

Correction: I have Quadra-Trac II 4x4 with Selec-Terrain vice Selec-Trac but no mention of Limited Slip ... the Quadra-Drive II 4x4 does have Limited Slip.

Hopefully, this will help answer the questions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2011 GC V8, not sure if it had the same axles and transfer case as you but I used Redline when I changed the fluid as they make a 75w85 and it was much cheaper than the Mopar fluid. I don't think you need any additive.

We have an MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland with Quadra-Drive.

1st Diff oil change, I used Redline 75W85 GL5 with no issues.

Second Oil changed I used Penrite Pro-Gear 75W90, also with no issues.

However the vehicle does not go off-road, so the ELSD would rarely get engaged. Therefore I cannot report if it makes a difference to the clutch packs using non Mopar Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back