Castrol Edge Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2015 Jaguar F-Type with the 3 liter 380hp engine. I am fastidious about changing oil more frequently (and performing the oil changes myself). The only recommended oil for this car is the Castrol Edge Professional 0w-20. I can find various versions of the Edge, but not the Edge Professional. Where can I find a retailer that sell this specification. If not, is there an alternative oil acceptable?

Any name brand synthetic 0w-20 will work. If you want high moly and VI, then go with Mazda 0w-20. If you want the highest VI, Toyota 0w-20. Really any Castrol, Mobil1, Pennzoil synthetic will work.

Welcome to BITOG. If there is a spec # in your owner's manual you may be able to find another oil that is approved for it online. Don't know if your dealer techs would be willing ro make recommendations or not.

The only known advantage of using Castrol Edge Professional 0w-20 is if you get an oil leak, the stuff already has a UV-light visible dye in there for diagnosis. Otherwise, you're better off getting any synthetic 0w-20, they're all quality.

Do you need an oil meeting the new JLR spec? ST JLR.51.5122? If so then it might be that Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 is the only choice. Visit your nearest Jaguar or Land Rover dealer to see if they have some.

From memory I think in the US you can use a 5W-20 meeting WSS-M2C925A/B for temperatures higher than -20°C (-4°F). Check your manual closely though.

Thank you... I believe the spec from Weasley is correct. The Edge Professional is five times the cost of other Edge products ($25 a quart). I was just trying to measure what additional benefits that spec offered and whether a lesser oil would damage (I never keep oil in for 10000 miles).

Castrol Edge Professional is only available via the dealer network, it's micro filtered (which probably makes no significant performance difference) and dyed to enable quick identification in the workshop that it is Castrol in the engine.

Be sure to get the correct performance spec as well as the correct viscosity oil.

Look in your owners manual and only use the recommended grade.

Originally Posted By: mjbi
thank you...already done. $150 in oil for a change is hard to swallow.

Big waste of money. With all the great synthetics out there, why do this?

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
thank you...already done. $150 in oil for a change is hard to swallow.

Big waste of money. With all the great synthetics out there, why do this?

If I had just dropped $70k on a beautiful new car I would be looking to make sure it stayed protected by the warranty. In the scheme of things, $150 looks like a lot for oil, but how much is that per mile? Even on a conservative 6,000 mile OCI that's 2.5c per mile. Compare that to, say, 20 mpg and $2.20/gal for fuel, giving you 11c/mile.

Now try finding a cheap outlet for a 0W-20 with the ST JLR.51.5122 spec on it. You're not going to find that in Wal-Mart, Costco or wherever else it is you guys go for cheap oil.

I recently purchased a 2015 Jaguar F-Type with the 3 liter 380hp engine. I am fastidious about changing oil more frequently .

Jaguar warranty is the reason why.

Is it not a bit contradictory?
Why not following the manufacturer recommended OCI?

Originally Posted By: weasley

Now try finding a cheap outlet for a 0W-20 with the ST JLR.51.5122 spec on it. You're not going to find that in Wal-Mart, Costco or wherever else it is you guys go for cheap oil.

Walmart has cheap oil here in the colonies. You can get Castrol Edge Extended Performance 15,000 mile (??? km) with titanium in a 5 quart (??? L) jug for $28 (??? pounds). That is supposed to be Castrol's finest, and they also have Castrol 0w-40 euro A3/B4, MB229.5 oil in the jug for about that same price, also amongst Castrol's finest.

If Jaguar requires ST JLR.51.5122 for warranty, then you are right. That sounds like a racket like being run by GM-dexos, since Jag has a secret deal with Castrol for "exclusivity" here, and money changing hands.

I do agree that going on Amazon and paying a little extra for the UV-dye Castrol Professional is not such a big deal, at about $19 per quart in the 6-pack. Oh, and its $27 a quart in single quarts!

And, yes, might as well have the dealer put it in for $150 including oil filter, but they're probably using bulk Valvoline 0w-20 or something and just not telling you. (conspiracy theory, I know).

Last edited:
Sorry to say that the Jag was closer to $100k, and I still can be frugal (that's how I got the Jag). Yes, it is a scam between Jag and Castrol for their special spec, but I will play along. The dealer oil change is $180. I just don't like them using the suction through the dipstick to extract the oil. I always like to open the pan (and do it myself with my level of carefulness).

As an aside, she is fast...

^^^^mjbi, I wonder what other car makers do this? I mean, only offer one oil choice like that, or they threaten to invalidate your warranty?

The only other one is how Chrysler-Dodge SRT engine's MS-12633 specification ropes everybody in, which appears to "limit" everyone to using Pennzoil 0w-40, even when they know any of the other 0w-40 brands out there would do equally well if not better.

Almost all car makers have their house-brand, but they don't require its usage. Limits the free market.

I did see the "special magical" Jag-Castrol "E" oil on ebay for a halfway reasonable price, so this is doable anyway. The Amazon Castrol "OE" isn't even the right one, so watch out there.

See below from Castrol

Sent: February-03-15 9:54 AM
To: ***********
Subject: RE: Castrol Edge Professional

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE Professional oil products are formulated in partnership and exclusively for Original Equipment Manufacturers' (OEM's) new car dealerships. These oils are endorsed and recommended by our OEM partners: Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Mini , Volkswagen and Volvo.

You can only purchase Castrol EDGE Professional OE 0W-20 oil from Jaguar and other new car dealership locations.

Castrol Consumer Relations

See below from Castrol

Sent: February-03-15 9:54 AM
You can only purchase Castrol EDGE Professional OE 0W-20 oil from Jaguar and other new car dealership locations.
Castrol Consumer Relations

Note the "OE" oil is not even right. Amazon doesn't have it. You need the Jag-specific "E" oil. Ebay probably has the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back