Need grease gun & grease choice advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! New member here.
I do not own a grease gun not a grease cartridge, I'm coming here for advice! I will need to use this grease gun for the zerk fittings on my car (it's an older vehicle with many zerk fittings on the front end), on my motorcycle (drive shaft), and on my reloader machine (pivot arms). I am looking for a grease that can do all of this. I read a ton about grease on here and it's made my head spin. I have no idea what grease is previously in those things I listed also. Should I just get some Shaeffer #274? It seems to be a popular choice on here.

The grease gun is my main concern since they aren't Made in USA anymore
frown.gif
Can someone on here sell me a Made in USA grease gun? Or should I just get this Made in India one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubricatio...coln+grease+gun

Thanks for the help

Welcome !!
Your choice of grease gun is great, but about any good quality lithium grease will meet your needs as described.
I'd see whats at your local autoparts store.
While Schaeffer's makes good products they are very pricey.

Valvoline Synpower Grease. I think AAP has a grease gun for 15.99$, good reviews and looks decent. If you dont want to use Valvoline, O'Reillys Auto has Royal Purple Grease, got some really good specs as well.

Synpower : Lithium Based
RP : Aluminum Based

Unfortunately, we don't dissect grease like we do oil here.

Grease color has no bearing on quality, but many get the impression that red, green, or blue is better than tan.

I have always had success with the most often recommended lithium complex. IF I had an unique situation (mud/water/etc.), I would consider aluminum complex.

It seems that the Mystic JT6 has outstanding specs. overall and is endorsed by Spicer (if I remember correct).

Finally, Ford has always recommended 3% moly grease for their wheel bearings, so that "rule" is rather confusing.

I don't know of any US made guns anymore. they are all third world junk. Happy to have one of the last US made ones.

Try this one. Made in Australia, its said to be top shelf. For the extra $15 over some third world version i would buy it any time.
Grease Gun

For grease Schaeffers is about as good as it gets, the #238 s perfect for chassis fittings.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It seems that the Mystic JT6 has outstanding specs. overall and is endorsed by Spicer (if I remember correct).

I see Mystik grease recommended often, what are the specs for it? It seems readily available also.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't know of any US made guns anymore. they are all third world junk. Happy to have one of the last US made ones.

Try this one. Made in Australia, its said to be top shelf. For the extra $15 over some third world version i would buy it any time.
Grease Gun

THANKS!!! Great find! I just purchased that!

Originally Posted By: skellyman

While Schaeffer's makes good products they are very pricey.

Was just quoted $127 for 30 tube case of 274, and $131 for 30 tube case of 238. Not like one is going to have to take out a second mortgage to buy some of the best grease available.

Originally Posted By: morrow
Hello everyone! New member here.
I do not own a grease gun not a grease cartridge, I'm coming here for advice! I will need to use this grease gun for the zerk fittings on my car (it's an older vehicle with many zerk fittings on the front end), on my motorcycle (drive shaft), and on my reloader machine (pivot arms). I am looking for a grease that can do all of this. I read a ton about grease on here and it's made my head spin. I have no idea what grease is previously in those things I listed also. Should I just get some Shaeffer #274? It seems to be a popular choice on here.

The grease gun is my main concern since they aren't Made in USA anymore
frown.gif
Can someone on here sell me a Made in USA grease gun? Or should I just get this Made in India one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubricatio...coln+grease+gun

Thanks for the help

As far as the gun goes, I went with the Lincoln you mentioned. No complaints.

Yes that Lincoln grease gun is excellent. I have one too. The synpower is what is in mine and i haven't had any complaints. Awesome grease. Once you pick a grease i wouldn't switch around. Some greases aren't compatible with each other.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I personally like the lever action better than the pistol grip.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1147-Greas...customerReviews

I have BOTH of those Lincolns, and yes, the lever one absolutely generates more pressure than the pistol grip.

So I use the pistol for low volume/pressure use (my rear u-joint's zerk fitting using a needle tip to get into the joint), and the lever one for all of the other suspension zerk fittings (front suspension, all of my Roto-Joints in the rear suspension).
wink.gif

and to think i use grease from 1966 -1970 my dad used on heavy equipment from Allis-Charmers on all my cars and trucks and that is what he used also seldom any front end grease related problems to date.

I recommend the professional pistol grip grease gun from Napa. It is a good quality gun made by Lu-Max, which I am pretty sure is owned by Lincoln. It develops 6,000 PSI, comes with a 18" whip hose and has all the nice features like air purge and bulk load fittings. It is on sale right for $26.99. I bought this gun a few years ago and it has been great. If you don't like this gun, the basic pistol grip gun from Lincoln is good too.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1230_0476942559

As far grease goes, I have 3 choices that I like and recommend.
1. Mystic JT-6 Hi Temp- Costs about $5 from Wal-Mart and is a great all purpose, high temp, high pressure grease that would work well for the uses you listed.

2. Valvoline synpower- Costs about $7.50 from Napa and is another all purpose, high temp, hi pressure grease and is 3% Moly fortified.

3. Omni Green Grease- Costs about $8 from autozone or advance auto. This is a another high temp, all purpose grease that is waterproof and super tacky. Because of this, it works well as an offroad or marine grease.

All 3 of these greases are lithium complex based, high temperature, high pressure, disc brake wheel bearing greases that can be used almost everywhere and anywhere. On top of that, they are locally available and easy to find, so nothing has to be ordered.

I hope this helps, Cheers!

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheapo grease gun. Its not the gun that matters, but the grease inside. Royal Purple or Amsoil grease is probably going to be the best around

I like Power punch grease and I also like Schaeffers with moly. Power punch is water proof and very tacky and stringy, I love it on my MX bike suspensions.

Last edited:
Grease gun- buy at napa. If u dont like it or it fails take it back for a replacement.

old thread discussing guns
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2404631

Grease- Mystic JT-6 is probably best all around grease.. used in mining, trucking, autos, etc.

If u can ever watch the History Channel Modern Marvels 'Grease Tech' they use mystik jt6 a few times in that show. Its been a long time but there was like a clock or something that was 200 years old and needed greased once a year and they used mystik.

Not every wal-mart carries it but most do. It must just be the wal-mart's in your area don't stock it for whatever reason. If you really wanted, you could order it from walmart.com and have it shipped for free to your local store.

I would say that is not necessary. There are plenty of other good options available. If you have Napa, Autozone or Advance auto anywhere near you, they all stock good greases. Some other good choices for grease are CRC new generation wheel bearing grease, mobil 1 grease, Lucas marine grease, Napa premium wheel bearing grease and even uniplex and super tech high temperature greases will all work well.

I just prefer JT-6, Green grease and Synpower over any of those
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back