Cheap, used 4x4 SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late '99-01 were the 4.0s with the bad heads.

Some were also known to crack piston skirts (my '98 did), but I'm not sure of the years.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Looking for reliability ? I would consider a Toyota 4Runner.
+1

Out here in the land of no rust I looked for 3 months for the right Cherokee and finally gave up. The price of unmolested ones with under 130K is $7K+ here. Bought an 02 Xterra with 125K for $5300 after looking at all the non-Jeep options. Still sorting it out but it will be fine for the mild off roading we do. A bit underpowered and the mileage isn't great but it's more comfortable than my last Cherokee. 4runners are crazy expensive.

If you find a Cherokee you like don't be afraid to spend a bit more that you wanted.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Jeep Cherokee's are fantastic there are thousands of 4.0 strait 6 engines out there with over 200,000 miles there were some head problem and also piston skirt issues but not nearly as bad as some online wants you to believe. All we do is engines and that is one of the good ones 2000-2001 jeep strait 6 are super reliable in my professional opinion

The indy shop that replaced the engine in my Jeep because of a cracked piston skirt issue had done a few others, so while it does not happen to every one, its not all that rare.

After there is some wear in the cylinder, the piston begins to wobble, the piston skirt cracks at that point you still are OK, but you may be able to hear it. Next a piece of the piston skirt actually breaks off and falls. If it goes into the oil pan you are OK, if it jams things you have catastrophic engine failure. In my case, the rod was no longer connected to the piston.

The early COP 4.0Ls (99-01WJ, 00-01 XJ,TJ) are much more prone to piston skirt cracking ... even though there's no difference between them and ~95 and newer. They also have a tendency to crack heads.

But, with that said, you don't have to worry about the Toyota automatic transmission. Chrysler managed to NOT screw up a Toyota transmission ... so there's that.

The cheapest 4x4 SUV has got to be a Tracker, but might be a little small for what you want?
Ours is starting to need some suspension work, but I guess that's what you get into at the age and mileage.

[/quote]

On a six cylinder automatic Explorer also check the transmission's function and condition carefully. The A4LD/4R55/5R55 family of transmissions aren't the strongest units out there.

Andrew S. [/quote]

Yep weak. The steel servo pistons like to wear out their aluminum bores. Then they have to be sleeved. Solenoid packs also go out regularly.

In this age group, I'd worry more about overall condition than brand issues.

Jeep Cherokees that haven't been modified are getting to be harder to find (the youngest is now 14 years old!). I owned one and enjoyed its utilitarian traits and roots, but it was not the nicest riding or most comfortable of the SUV's we've owned. You may have better luck with a Grand Cherokee, but every owner I know who has had one knew that Jeep stood for Just Empty Every Pocket... Your miles may vary.

One the explorer, I'd stay away from the 4.0 SOHC in the 2nd Gen body style. (up to the 2001 model year) and focus on a Third Generation. If you do look at a 2nd gen, look under the plastic body trim for rust - it hides it very well from a casual inspection. Third gens suffer from bad wheel bearings that will go about 70,000 miles before needing replacement, but otherwise they are decent enough.

No experience with Blazers.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you can find a 5.0L Explorer, snap it up!

I would in a minute! I'm a bit suspicious of the 4.0 SOHC in these years.

If you find a SOHC that's running its likely had all the updates done to it. Mine has been good for 15 years. Oil sprayed so its rust free. The 5.0 is a great motor, but you have to get the less desirable all wheel drive. Many have swapped that TC out for a real part time unit with great success.

On a six cylinder automatic Explorer also check the transmission's function and condition carefully. The A4LD/4R55/5R55 family of transmissions aren't the strongest units out there.

Andrew S.

Yes, this is true. The V6 got the weak tranny; and the V8 got The robust 4R70W

On the third gen Explorer, avoid the 2002 to 2005 models altogether. *wheel bearings, rear differential, and drive by wire issues and many more )

Last edited:
LOL, You guys make them sound like they are all junk! Did find a nice looking with the Michigan minimum rust 1998 4Runner here at my local Dodge dealer for $3995. It has 236,000 miles on it. Seriously, think I'll stick with a 1995-98 Cherokee, Explorer with a V-8,. Haven't really heard any horror stories about the little Blazer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HM12460
LOL, You guys make them sound like they are all junk! Did find a nice looking with the Michigan minimum rust 1998 4Runner here at my local Dodge dealer for $3995. It has 236,000 miles on it. Seriously, think I'll stick with a 1995-98 Cherokee, Explorer with a V-8,. Haven't really heard any horror stories about the little Blazer?

Well, the worst enemy of most older SUVs are their previous owners. These were America's family car, and were used like appliances. Change the engine oil, then throw it out when it needs a transfer case or transmission was the maintenance regimen.

Pretty much across the board, truck based SUVs were robust, long lasting vehicles if maintained.

Blazers don't have anything really crazy in the design like Ford's 2 timing chains in the SOHC 4.0, but they had their set of issues too. Their cooling systems do not respond well to neglected Dexcool. I would change Dexcool every 3 years in a 4.3 S-Series of any kind to avoid rust buildup. The spider fuel injection could have issues too, but repair parts are available. The 4L60E transmission is hit or miss, but again, sourcing a replacement/rebuild parts is absolutely no problem. I have seen multiple 300K mile Blazers, so like the others, these issues will vary. You may experience all or none and maintenance has a lot to do with it.

Actually the Ford 4.0 SOHC has 4 timing chains, but whose counting?

The price of a used Toyota is ridiculous; there are better buys for less money IMO

Yeah, I had the 4.0L OHV in my Explorer. It sucked gas like a champion but was indestructible. Outlived two transfer cases and a transmission. I believe it outlived the truck actually, as my sister sold it for the motor to somebody who was swapping it into a roller they had. It had close to 400,000Km on it IIRC.

The price of a used Toyota is ridiculous; there are better buys for less money IMO[/quote]

There's good reason the price of used Toyotas are high. In gyeneral, Toyotas are the most reliable vehicles out there

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yeah, I had the 4.0L OHV in my Explorer. It sucked gas like a champion but was indestructible. Outlived two transfer cases and a transmission. I believe it outlived the truck actually, as my sister sold it for the motor to somebody who was swapping it into a roller they had. It had close to 400,000Km on it IIRC.

Mine was the OHV too (only V6 available in 1995). It was like you described. 14 MPG around town on 31" tires, but it never gave me any trouble...

IMG_0350.jpg

Ahh, yours was a sport
smile.gif
Mine was a '97 XL, forest green with grey interior. Same wheels as in your picture.

Was a great truck. Just a pig on gas. And I must admit to towing more than I probably should with it (22' antique wooden boat, water logged for example) which didn't help with transmission or transfer case life
wink.gif

Yep, mine was a Sport. Willow Green Metallic on a Willow Green interior. Mine had the upgraded buckets with power on the driver's side and "high series" floor console. It had power inflatable bolsters on the seats too and the front cushion was adjustable. Best seats I have had in a vehicle.

IMG_0301.jpg

I really wish it hadn't had rust issues. The rust was the root of everything wrong with that truck. All the power features worked, the engine ran great, the trans shifted great, 4WD worked, etc. It got undercoated one time when it was nearly new and never again, and all the salt in PA did a lot of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back