Hair clipper oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I use 3 in 1 oil for hair clippers or should I get a dedicated clipper/trimmer oil instead? Any difference between the two oils?

Wahl makes clipper oil. In a pinch, you could use Pam cooking spray. I would never use 3 in one oil for something that touches my skin.

WD-40. There are people grinding up aspirin and mixing it with WD-40 to rub into joints and whether or not it works it does not cause problems with the skin. You can use it on your clippers and if there is excess left over it won't harm you.

One site recommends vegetable oil. Tolerates high heat and is fairly light. Their preference, though, is to purchase the real deal (Amazon $4.29 shipped to your door).

Thanks everyone. I already have the 3 in 1 oil so I didn't want to buy another. But, I'm buying a new Wahl hair clipper and want to keep that for a while. I think I'll just splurge on the Wahl oil to keep things within spec - just like my car oil choice.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
WD-40. There are people grinding up aspirin and mixing it with WD-40 to rub into joints and whether or not it works it does not cause problems with the skin. You can use it on your clippers and if there is excess left over it won't harm you.

I can't fathom wanting to deliberately introduce hydrocarbons into your body. Do not do this. Do not.

In lieu of clipper oil, plain vegetable oil can be used.

I used wd40..its just to lube the blade..obviously wipe it dry afterwards before shaving..wahl oil is tough to find..personally i highly doubt wd40 residue will cause any issues.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Wahl trimmers usually come with oil.

.... but not a lifetime supply!

I use the same stuff on clippers that I use in my gun barrel, gun action and gun stock... Ballistol. You can use it on cuts and as an antiseptic too.

Your great-great grandmother and great-great grandfather used Ballistol too. .... and it's not why they died.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I can't fathom wanting to deliberately introduce hydrocarbons into your body. Do not do this. Do not.

Are you aware that your body produces hydrocarbons, all by itself?

In any case, the amount of HC compounds absorbed by your skin as you cut your hair is infinitesimally tiny; nowhere near any point where it might have any sort of physiological effect.

Vegetable oils are is not a good idea. Vegetable oils will gum-up over time.

I use the 3 in 1 electric motor oil, it's a little thick but it's what I have on hand. Anything is probably fine

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Are you aware that your body produces hydrocarbons, all by itself?

In any case, the amount of HC compounds absorbed by your skin as you cut your hair is infinitesimally tiny; nowhere near any point where it might have any sort of physiological effect.

Vegetable oils are is not a good idea. Vegetable oils will gum-up over time.

The reference in my original post before you redacted it to alter my point was about rubbing WD-40 on your bare skin. I have not read about my body producing the hydrocarbons contained in WD-40, but I'll try to look that up.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

In lieu of clipper oil, plain vegetable oil can be used.

Additional reading on hydrocarbons.

Again, I'm not suggesting that using WD-40 on clippers is going to cause toxic effects. It is a thin oil though, and not a great lubricant. I've used canola and baby oil on mine before with no ill effects. There is no residue left on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back