Most miles in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regularly do Ft. Worth area to Sacramento area in 2 days 1750 miles.
Did Sacramento to Albuquerque in one day, alone in snow from Williams Az to Albuquerque. About 1100 miles. Was TIRED.

I used to do about 1000 miles solo once in a while, but not anymore. ~600 is about my limit these days. I LOVE road-trip driving, but I'm clearly not as skilled behind the wheel after anything over 10-12 hours straight. Why risk it?

Now if I've got someone with me, its a different story. A co-worker and I drove >850 miles in about 14 hours last fall. He only drove for about 4 hours in two stretches and I did all the rest (my truck), but two breaks to lay back plus having someone for the conversation was enough to let me stay alert for the last leg of the trip.

I've driven Minneapolis to Denver / Fort Collins, Colorado (and the reverse) too many times to count. 900 miles, give or take. It makes for a long day.

Longest team drive in one shot without stopping overnight somewhere was about 1250 miles from Park City Utah to Minneapolis. 22+ hours. This was back when 65 mph was the legal max.

Disney World, Orlando to north of Dayton, 981 miles straight thru with gas stops. I was tired. Also Dayton to Daytona Fla, Speedweeks many times, a little shorter? 910-920 miles.

1,158 miles. Last July I drove my 1997 Toyota Camry with 194k miles to Emigrant, MT to help my brother fix his car so he can come back home to AZ. I left at 8:30 A.M. on a Sunday and arrived in Montana at about 4:30 A.M. Monday morning. Did as much 80 mph as possible, cruise control set. Lots of wide open throttle up all of those mountains and it averaged 33 mpg! Put 600 miles on the car that week driving around and then left the next Saturday but stopped in Salt Lake City for a hotel. Did a total of 2,900 miles on that car in 1 week and the car did pretty good. The seat were as hard as a rock so my tailbone was hurting real bad.

964 miles. Canton, OH to Eustis, FL in a 99 Grand Am. Wasn't a horrible experience but I wish now I would've had my '10 Taurus. Wayyy more comfortable.

750 miles in my Mazda6 to SC in about 12 hours which included time for gas/bathroom and a sit down meal. I left around midnight and arrived around 2pm.

Last edited:
750 miles from Disney World to my driveway. Done it twice now, we always stop in Jacksonville on the way down so that Daddy isn't such a grouch on the first day in the Magic Kingdom. When I was in my twenties me and the wife went from Richmond to Montgomery and the next day to New Orleans. That was a long trip. On the way back we stopped for a night in Biloxi and another two in Atlanta before making our way back to Virginia. I prefer breaking it up.

I went on a day trip for skiing last weekend that was about 600 miles round trip. The last 300 was in that northeast ice storm. It sucked, but if it wasn't for the weather it would have been fine.

I'd do it again.

I've also driven NY to NC in one sitting, although I did stop once to take a nap for an hour or so. Left at 3 or 4 in the afternoon and made it down there by 6am the next day.

Last edited:
1200 miles. Bought my first post-college car in Houston and drove it to my first real job in Wisconsin. No cruise control, so I did a lot of left foot driving and hanging my right over the stick shift & passenger seat. Brutal.

In a car...1150 from Nevada, IA to Georgia Southern University with only two stops.

On a motorcycle...1082 from Nevada, IA to Minnesota/Canada border on Hwy. 61 and back in less than 24 hours

1050 miles of 2 lane Nevada highway from Las Vegas to Portland Oregon. Left at noon and got home at 6am. In retrospect I should have pulled off to take a break. The last half hour was gruelling!
I used to regularly drive between Portland and Salt Lake City, 12 hours and 775 miles. It once took 16 hours due to heavy snow and a freeway closure. My gas cap froze on and an idaho state trooper at a truck stop advised me to spend the night in a hotel. Being too poor to afford a room I kept on rolling!

One of friends growing up in the 60-70's drove a 1969 Honda CB350 from Chicago to Bakersfield Ca round trip. Those of you fellow geezers that remember late 60's Honda 350 was can appreciate the non-stop 75-80mph pain, noise and vibration endured on a trip like that.

Last edited:
750 miles, From Northern CA to home in San Diego. On my Harley Electraglide with my Wife on the back. I thought She was going to kill me for about the last 100 miles.

Just depends what you call a day!

My last road trip was to Ludlow Mass to pu a new fleet truck. Drove back to Tampa bay area in Florida in 24 hours.

All we stopped for was fuel, there was two of us so we could switch off driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back