RTV vs Fel-Pro Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
RTV. More and more manufacturers are discontinuing paper gaskets for those and using RTV only from the factory.

The problem some can have with both RTV and gasket is the RTV will cause the gasket to slide out of place if you attempt to torque prior to the RTV setting up, causing decreased seal integrity than if you just used one or the other.
I am an RTX man myself, but I feel conformable with either.

Exactly-RTV lets the gasket slide and it may tear, leading to leaks. One or the other, not both; except a little to hold the gasket in place as it's installed in a hard to reach spot.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm changing the gear oil on the front and rear axles on my grandpa's 1996 Jeep Cherokee tomorrow. It has the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. O'Reillys sells Fel-Pro gaskets for both. I don't really feel like messing with RTV if I don't have to. I used a Fel-Pro on my Chevy truck a year ago with no RTV and it didn't leak.

So what do I use? Thanks

If a gasket is made for the differential I am working on I always use the gasket. I also apply a very thin layer of RTV to each side of the gasket first. You can't be too careful.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I'm changing the gear oil on the front and rear axles on my grandpa's 1996 Jeep Cherokee tomorrow. It has the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. O'Reillys sells Fel-Pro gaskets for both. I don't really feel like messing with RTV if I don't have to. I used a Fel-Pro on my Chevy truck a year ago with no RTV and it didn't leak.

So what do I use? Thanks

If a gasket is made for the differential I am working on I always use the gasket. I also apply a very thin layer of RTV to each side of the gasket first. You can't be too careful.
thumbsup2.gif

I did it all yesterday. Rear differential oil was pretty gross, had a slight tint of golden color to it, but mostly blackish. Front one was pretty clean. I also did a drain and refill on the transfer case (was also pretty dark) and the transmission which wasn't too too bad.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My jeep came with rtv only from the factory

This. Subaru auto transmission pans are the same way - the dealer gives you a tube of pink RTV. I know, I've used MANY of those tubes when I was at the Subaru dealer.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

So what do I use? Thanks

thumbsup2.gif

I did it all yesterday. Rear differential oil was pretty gross, had a slight tint of golden color to it, but mostly blackish. Front one was pretty clean. I also did a drain and refill on the transfer case (was also pretty dark) and the transmission which wasn't too too bad.

What did you use in the transfer case?

Does he have the 231 or the 242?

Thanks for this thread was wondering the same. Changing out the 3500's here in the next month and the gasket is fairly cheap. Changed a Ranger's out years ago with no issue's using RTV but this housing is much bigger! Going with the gasket although I'm not planning on changing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back