howmuch and how long too use MMO in oil/98 corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all
grin.gif
i want too runMMO marvel mystery oil in my oil! Nw i have read, use 20% of MMO, and no more than 25%. Most seem too say 20%. My 98 toyota corolla uses 4 quarts oil. thats 128ozs. MMO comes in 32 oz containers, butmy local napa has them in 16 oz. containers...
how do i do this? replace 16ozs oil with MMO? not sure if using 32 ozs in place of a quart of oil is a god idea. using an online calculator, 128 ozs minus 20% got me about 112 ozs. its5w30 im using, but frequent 10w30 summer spring time...dino usualy.
I also read others run it 500-600 miles before emptying. MMos website seems too sugest its good for your entire mileage run...so im lost n confused on this all.

I think you need to recheck your math. 20% of 128 ozs is 25.6. 128-25.6= 102.4 ozs.

But to make it easier...25% of 128 ozs (4 qts)= 32 ozs (1 qt). So just replace a single quart of oil with a quart of MMO.

Whole point of MMO in oil is cleaning, so keeping the oil life short and repeat a few times to get everything it can possibly.

Depending on the car I do a 1k followed by 2k run with a large size filter like bosch distance plus and after that go back to normal routines.

The amount of ingenuity that goes into motor oil is truly amazing. Running short intervals with dino oil will also do the trick.

Last edited:
You could dose your oil as stated above with mmo, but imo I'd try running some M1 HM or maxlife full Syn first. I've tried the mmo and I personaly found rislone engine treatment to work better at cleaning up a dirty motor faster than with short oci or slowly with syn, jmo.

The only thing I'd use MMO on is doorknobs and rust. If you're trying to clean up your engine, just use a high mileage motor oil like MaxLife red bottle.

For best results run a few short OCI. Might at well use a cheaper oil like Rotella. Its diesel oil but Its high in detergent and has API certification for gasoline engines.

Maxlife synthetic can be hard to find (at least here) I see blend everywhere but synthetics either not being restocked or people keep buying it out.

If you get the 32oz bottle of MMO the easy way is 1/4th bottle per quart of oil 1/2 bottle per quart if using 16oz bottles.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
For best results run a few short OCI. Might at well use a cheaper oil like Rotella. Its diesel oil but Its high in detergent and has API certification for gasoline engines.

Maxlife synthetic can be hard to find (at least here) I see blend everywhere but synthetics either not being restocked or people keep buying it out.

If you get the 32oz bottle of MMO the easy way is 1/4th bottle per quart of oil 1/2 bottle per quart if using 16oz bottles.

Best of luck

You save big money getting your MMO in those 32oz bottles.

Walmart or Amazon.

See! This is why i love this website and you all:)
The reason, or reasons i wanna try/use MMO is because for one, ive simply always wanted too. never did, just once, too say i did it,and the engine didnt KO..
the other reason, is because i belive my rngs are bad or something. I inherited this 98 corolla from my father after he passed, 2007. sat in driveway for some 4/5 years. Only had like 43,000 miles on it. my father used too go too our local jiffy lube..they used castrol,dont remember the filter. my father always went by time, or squeezing mileage in even if it was past oil change time. and thiers alot of stop n go traffic here.
So 2012 or so, puta new fram air filter in, did oil change flush, new battery. i still remember that day with roomate,musta been may that year, we discovered horet coming out of the dash vent deriver side, no alot, but a few.small hornet nest under the driver side febder lol.
well since then, ive done 3 month oil changes.accumulating 800-1500miles in 3 months. the oil was thick, black, looked molassis kinda. using dino 10w30's. under oil cap, instead of metal, it was like somone cooked a gravy roast that burnt. ver time doing reg oil changes it has dissapered. now have 73,000miles on it. i have uses havoline 5w30 and 10w30 i bought on walmart clearance10 years ago, (read here about its high moly contebt! abd in 3 onths, like last year,2 quarts wwould be missing! no leaks...apparenty it burned out the tailpipe. i have changedthe PVC valve as well, as of 2 years ago, dealer pcv valve..and prob has 10,000 miles on it.
so laast year added 10w30 havoline august. amonth goes by, and i dunno, uptoo 700mile..dipstick was 2 quarts low! added 2 quartsmobil super synthetic, 10w30. it mostly held for another1500 milesor so. but levelstrated goin down. so chnaged oil yesterday, putting 2 16.9bottles of rislone concentrate in drive 100 miles. gunna use theold bottles of havoline as a flush, then use PYB 5w30. but replace a quart with MMO...clean mop up the engine, so too speak.
the oil yesterday was thickish, and blacker than midnite.itlooked like itwas asking too be recycled.
this is why im wanting to try use MMO. im assuming the rings with these smaller pistons toyota knew/knows about are coked, buthoping its not worse than that. ive raed from quite a few on toyotnation and corollaland, theyde only use a full synthetic in these engines. im a dino oil person though lol...so that kinda conflicts.

Ive also decided too stay with toptier gas, car really seems to like sunoco 87 and shell gas. i had religously usedCITGO gas, and thought perhaps it was inferior gas attributed too the oil coming out in suck molasses looking condition.
have changed the belt on engine myself. and dreplaced sparkplugs, dealer denso's, torqing them with a an style torque wrench mysewlf since 2012.with myold junked 95 neon, ide replace them every 2 years, well under 30,000 miles..same thing im gunna do with this toyota. i remember 4 years ago, i bought 4 autolites? but they had a single sprk finger prong at electrdode.immediatly the toyota made thumping noises ate some gas, ans didnt wanna move.got the 2 prongers, and it ran as normal. apparently, the corollai have, was designed to use those, not single electrodeprongs.
so!!! the interest in/with MMO is too hopefllyitwill get into the rings and shampoo it too death

and i do intend of using lets say mobil 1 high mileage synthetic at one point..but i have a smallish stash of dino ive accumalted over the years..so wanna use that up first:) then moveon..too synthetics as long as i have this car.

i read it was pale oil with heavily refined hydrocarbons.
im intending,on running aquart of mmo inplace of oil, for 600 miles lets say in under 3 months,then drain.
could or would or has anyone here ran a quart ofmmo for an entire oci? every oci?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why do you want to use MMO in your engine?

This....MMO will have no AW, Detergent, Dispersants, Viscosity Modifyers, will have a very , very low VI, its sole function will be to dilute the important properties of your carefully engineered engine oil. If thats important to you..have at it.

Shampoo! Love it! I usually only use it on the tail end of an OCI but other members here have used it for full OCIs for years and years. I am now going to Rislone Engine Treatment for top-offs at the tail end of OCIs with Rislone piston soaks before oil changes. I am also trying to free carboned rings.

Last edited:
Ziggy, dont worry about draining it after 500-600 miles. That is just nonsense. Just replace 20% of your motor oil with MMO and leave it in the whole OCI. Repeat as necessary and enjoy!
cool.gif

At your short OCI's just run it the full normal interval. It won't hurt a thing and will do some gentle cleaning. Slow and steady wins the race here.

Clearly some members are confused about what is in MMO. Your impressions are correct, it's mostly oil although of a different base stock type than motor oil.

It works. There are more aggressive cleaners available but MMO works well and is virtually guaranteed NOT to overdue things and cause a problem, unlike some more harsh cleaners could.

Despite all the misinformed claims you'll find of the horrible things MMO will do to your oil, UOA's posted here with MMO versus without are almost always better than the comparable UOA without it, and I've never seen one that was "worse". In addition to base oils and solvents is does contain anti-wear agents, most notably phosphorus.

Many who have used it have noticed the engine runs quieter with MMO in the crankcase too, I know mine do as well.

You can jump up one oil grade when adding that much MMO if you want to, but you don't have to.

Don't worry about it, have fun!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
At your short OCI's just run it the full normal interval. It won't hurt a thing and will do some gentle cleaning. Slow and steady wins the race here.

Clearly some members are confused about what is in MMO. Your impressions are correct, it's mostly oil although of a different base stock type than motor oil.

It works. There are more aggressive cleaners available but MMO works well and is virtually guaranteed NOT to overdue things and cause a problem, unlike some more harsh cleaners could.

Despite all the misinformed claims you'll find of the horrible things MMO will do to your oil, UOA's posted here with MMO versus without are almost always better than the comparable UOA without it, and I've never seen one that was "worse". In addition to base oils and solvents is does contain anti-wear agents, most notably phosphorus.

Many who have used it have noticed the engine runs quieter with MMO in the crankcase too, I know mine do as well.

You can jump up one oil grade when adding that much MMO if you want to, but you don't have to.

Don't worry about it, have fun!

thumbsup2.gif
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back