Better Auto Battery: Duralast or AutoCraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says, which is the better battery? I have an AutoZone and an Advance Auto nearby (a NAPA too, but I've had bad luck with their batteries in the past). And price is a wash, as both "Gold" models sell for about $150 minus core charge and both have a 5 year warranty.

So what's the better battery: a Duralast or an AutoCraft?

Really? After much research I bought a NAPA Legend based off the stellar reviews found here and other sites.

I had a NAPA battery die days after I installed it, and was given a hard time to get a replacement. I had to get the lead mechanic of a garage I worked for to call and demand a new battery for me. It was personally delivered by a salesman with an apology- but it shouldn't have gone down that way. That was quite a few years ago now. Never bought another battery from NAPA since...

You know there are coupons for Advance right?

TRT41 = $40 off $100+ purchase
TRT30 = 30% off

Go to their site, add your car, pick closest store, add battery to cart, add coupon that gives best amount off, and then pay. After you pay drive to store and pickup.

But I doubt you will notice the difference as they are very similar. Its more luck of the draw now than name I have noticed. When I was starting out as a auto tech there were good and bad batteries but pretty much any premium battery will be fine today. Advance auto just has coupons.

Both are made by Johnson Controls.The only difference is the label.Go try to grab a Carquest battery quick,before they start carrying Advance batteries,which is coming very soon. CQ batts are currently made by East Penn.A superior battery,in my experience.But hurry,because CQ will soon start selling the AutoCraft batts.

As noted both are made by Johnson Controls, but I don't know which "is better." I'd have to weigh the AAP $50 off $100/$125 online code the next time it rolls around (which shouldn't be too long) against DL's extra two year warranty. Just me, but I'm thinking I'd be going AutoCraft. Currently two best AAP codes for batteries are listed above in fourth post.

My .02

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Just bought an Autocraft with the 30% off code. Thanks!!

Where do you folks get your AAP discount coupon codes?

I believe you can sign up for email notifications or I just go to retailmenot.com

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I believe you can sign up for email notifications or I just go to retailmenot.com

Or you can just follow this thread on this site:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3300893/11

I just got one, used the $50 off $100 so it brought the price of a 36R down to $62 plus tax. Plus the guy installed it, I should have just done it myself though, he was a little sloppy, but it went in fine.

2 of my cars have had Autocraft batteries for several years w/out issue. Got great deals on them using AAP coupon codes.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

....you can just follow this thread on this site:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3300893/11 ......

Thanks for keeping it Bitog sourced and recognizing the timely in house AAP code updates done here.
thumbsup2.gif

Good call imo, going with the AutoCraft.

I like the Johnson Controls made batteries at Walmart. I am running one now bought in 2008 and going strong. I know of three who have had issues with Duralast batteries.

I have had good luck with my Duralast gold. A few weeks back it was -22 with the wind chill and it started right up without issue. I installed it a few years back.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
AAP battery.

Off Topic: what DC voltage should a fully charged car battery measure?

Depends how long it has been off charge. A little under 13 volts after it has been sitting for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back