Wearever brake pad comparision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to do the brakes around all four corners of my F150 this spring and between pricing, discounts and reviews I've decided on going with Wearever parts from Advanced. Frontline rotors but I'm not sur eabout the pads. Other than including brake hardware, what is the difference between the Gold vs. Platinum pads in the Wearever line? Looks like they both use a "4 layer shim" and sport "Limited Lifetime Replacement" warranties with 19mm of friction material thickness (PN PNAD1414 and GNAD1414).

I'm running Wearever Platinum pads on two of my cars right now. They're quiet, have good stopping power and brake dust isn't a problem. Not sure how they differ from the Gold line except some reviews say the Golds leave more brake dust.

Last edited:
The Platinum ceramics I bought are different than the semi metallic, I prefer the ceramic. They put a lot of money into the Platinum ceramic lineup they are quiet and fairly low dust. Also the pads I got are FF rated, which is about the best you can get from big parts stores.

I cant tell you specifically, but on my Saturn i ran the silvers for years. I had to clean the front wheels every week. Then i put on the Golds made in India and there was no measurable dust, durable stopping, and long life. I would play it safe with the Golds as i think they are the best......but, if the plats are comparable in price.....................

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I cant tell you specifically, but on my Saturn i ran the silvers for years. I had to clean the front wheels every week. Then i put on the Golds made in India and there was no measurable dust, durable stopping, and long life. I would play it safe with the Golds as i think they are the best......but, if the plats are comparable in price.....................

We aren't talking about the silvers, the gold and Platinum are the top tier pads from advance auto.

Originally(from what I read in the adds), the GOLD were/are "application specific"! Meaning, if your vehicle has semi-met's, the GOLD will be semi-met's for you app! If you have ceramic, the GOLD will be ceramic. I thought the GOLD were 3 layer shim from what I had read?

Originally(from what I read in the adds), the PLATINUM were strictly CERAMIC! Now, the WearEver PLAT's are either Plat's or Semi-Met's in "most apps". IDKY they started offering the Plat's in the semi-met's unless it's for the bit of more aggressive friction material for their TOP LINE PAD! I thought the PLAT's are 4 layer shim from what I had read?

OTOH, just to add this: The SILVERS were/are strictly Semi-Met's or ORGANIC(IDK what organic is)? And the Silvers have the lesser warranty.

Also my understanding is that, Semi-Met's have a better bite than Ceramic but, I've never been able to tell. I prefer Ceramic simply for the lack of noise(s) issue or Cold/Hot weather inconsistencies OR whatever! I've gone to ceramic pads and haven't looked back!

Last edited:
^^^Everyone does this here except a small few.

ALL pads are application specific.

The "gold" series pads are not simply all the exact same compound in different shapes!

FWIW we used two sets of Platinums on our service vans, they were both semi metallic, and they ate rotors like candy!

In our application the gold is far better in a ceramic enriched formula...

Sorry! I meant "friction" specific!
Although no brand is exact!. But this we all know!
smile.gif

I wish there were some kind of published spec for the parts store [censored]. It's why I always spend a few extra bucks and go with a brand name pad, like ATE, Textar, PBR, Performance Friction, etc.

I've been happy with every brand of ceramic pads that I have purchased. Very nice everyday stopping and brake feel in all of our cars. Even when out of state on vacation and driving for 6-10 hours at a time through mountainous regions and even having to brake hard!!!

And like I mentioned, ceramic material(whatever) has eliminated any of the noises that I was getting with other friction materials. I just don't get any noises anymore! Sure, I've had good/quiet semi-met's but, it's hit or miss and vehicle dependent!

Currently running at all 4 wheels, WearEver GOLD Ceramic in the Lexus & Altima in my signature and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic in the Mazda3. Firebird is still OE and I mean...OE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back