2016 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the 2015 4.0 and 6-speed manual.

The 2016 is a nice looking truck. I considered holding out for the '16, but decided on the 2015 because I am leery of buying the 1st model year.

Last edited:
A: What is Toyota’s stance on diesel engines for the U.S. pickup truck market?

S: I can’t talk about what we’re doing in the future but, in this market, diesel is an interesting offering. Of course, with a diesel engine fuel economy is 30 percent better right out of the box. The difficulty with the diesel is LEV III [emissions standards]. The difficulty is the cost-to-benefit relationship. Everybody loves diesel in trucks. The downside is the after-treatment systems can add $3,000 or more. It starts becoming cost prohibitive, especially in this segment, to pay a premium for both the engine and after-treatment system. That’s the struggle we have. We build a lot of diesel trucks, just not in this country. If I develop a diesel system for our country and I spend a huge amount of money to do that, I won’t see a return on the investment. That’s what we’ve struggled with.

Thanks EPA.

its incredibly ugly, no doubt the engine will last 2 million miles, very disappointed that toyota isnt taking the diesel plunge.

Too bad about the diesel, but I guess the cost level just isn't there in a mini truck. They could probably add a smaller diesel, but folks wouldn't be able to hang gonads from their hitch receiver if the diesel was only an i4.

I'd be hesitant with toyota frame quality, but their gasoline drivetrain offerings sound good to me.

Incredibly beautiful but time will tell if the new engine/transmisson is reliable enough to carry Toyota badge.

Now is a bad time to buy a vehicle there is going to be a drastic change with all the EPA miles per gallon increase rules and only fools buy the first years models.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Too bad about the diesel, but I guess the cost level just isn't there in a mini truck. They could probably add a smaller diesel, but folks wouldn't be able to hang gonads from their hitch receiver if the diesel was only an i4.

I'd be hesitant with toyota frame quality, but their gasoline drivetrain offerings sound good to me.
The frame is not box any more so no problem there. I never understood why enlarge a little truck. I have owned an 84 sold it for an x cab 92 which got rear ended and totalled in 06 bought an 06 which was taken over by my smart children and now I am driving my dads 96 .

It's a shame about the diesel. I'd pass on the first year of anything with a new power train.

OT- I'm considering a 2016 GC diesel, if they continue to offer it. At least for the up charge for the diesel they bump you up to the HD ZF 8 speed tranny they use with the Hemi engine in the pick up. At least that's what they did with the 2015. It makes it a little more palatable to me, and a bit easier to justify the up charge.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I always feel like I'm sitting on the floor in the Tacoma. Just don't like how they ride at all.

This!

+ New frame
+ Cool off-road tech (crawl mode, factory go pro mount, and terrain select)
+ Stamped tailgate
+ LED DRL's with projector headlights
+ Smaller offspring of the new Tundra.

- 3.5L engine? You must be kidding! You are using the 2GR-FSE from the Lexus and calling it all new?
- Rear drum brakes? You are the only truck now with rear drums still.
- No diesel option. So much for getting a chance to one-up the competition with same and samer engines.

Still an awesome truck though. No doubt this will sell like hotcakes.

I am so sorry but whenever I see a Tundra, Tacoma, Avalon I always think "that's not a Toyota". They made their reputation selling small economical and reliable cars and trucks that were simple.

Haven't seen one in years...

Last edited:
The so called chief engineer they interviewed in the Automobile Q&A sounds more like a marketing person than an engineer. "Ya bro, it's like totally [censored] and stuff...our target customers are like active bros that kayak and go to festivals and stuff, bro. Look bro, totally legit GoPro mount."

I have mixed feelings about this update. It seems a little half [censored] honestly. The stuff that is really showing this truck's age...5-speed manual for the I4, drum brakes in the rear, etc...is still the same, and nobody else is using it anymore. Even the Ranger had standard four wheel discs for its final year of production.

The body doesn't seem like it really changed as much as the marketeering bro in the Automobile Q&A implies. Looks like they tweaked some character lines, but you can tell, especially by the windows, that the basic structure is a continuation of the old truck from 10 years ago. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but this is at most a refresh along the lines of when the truck was updated for 2001...it is not all new with "maybe the seatbelt brackets shared."

The problem with the refresh is that what they did do seems to lack substance. They made the grille more obnoxious, which isn't surprising considering Toyota's current styling. It also looks like it will be more prone to expensive damage since the grille is effectively part of the bumper. Worse is what they did to the interior. The current Tacoma interior has a simple, nicely styled, functional dash that isn't over the top. Everything about it makes sense. The 2016 dash looks like they are trying to get the five people who bought FJ Cruisers to buy Tacomas next time around. Huge pointless chunks of plastic, ungainly appearance, controls all over the place with no rhyme or reason, etc.

As for the 3.5L V6...I hope it offers a nice, sizable fuel economy gain over the 4.0L. With 12 injectors it better do something for it. The 4.0L was a reliable engine and perfect for the Tacoma. And the oil filter location was the best. I bet the 3.5L has a bottom mount cartridge...engine pics confirm it is not a top mounted spin on anymore.

The upside of this refresh is that they probably didn't majorly screw anything up, as it's not an entirely new truck by any stretch of the imagination. The downside is, the changes they did make seem to be chasing marginal fuel economy gains by increasing the complexity of the engine, and making the styling more gaudy and brotruckish. It's probably enough that it buys them a couple years of not losing too much market share, and maybe that's all they are after right now, but I hope the next Tacoma update or redesign has more substance.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

As for the 3.5L V6...I hope it offers a nice, sizable fuel economy gain over the 4.0L. With 12 injectors it better do something for it. The 4.0L was a reliable engine and perfect for the Tacoma. And the oil filter location was the best. I bet the 3.5L has a bottom mount cartridge...engine pics confirm it is not a top mounted spin on anymore.

Man, I don't know about those cartridge filters. Anyone have any experience trying to change those?

My wife and I wanted to get back into the Tacoma game, and with what I've seen (I've been watching for the '16 release), I'd rather get one of the last '15s out the door. Just can't happen this year, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Man, I don't know about those cartridge filters. Anyone have any experience trying to change those?

My wife and I wanted to get back into the Tacoma game, and with what I've seen (I've been watching for the '16 release), I'd rather get one of the last '15s out the door. Just can't happen this year, unfortunately.

My Tundra has one. Get the right tool, such as the one below, and the oil change is not much different. Just takes a little more time.

http://www.tooltopia.com/assenmacher-toy-640.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back