2005 Chevy Impala 3.4L PCV Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever replaced the PCV on an 05 Impala with the 3.4L? It is different than earlier models of that generation with the 3.4L as the PCV is actually held down on the valve cover by a riveted on retainer. It is the only year of that generation Impala to use the retainer. Just a total cluster by GM IMO designing it that way. PCV's need to be replaced and you can't do that if it is riveted on.

This is what I am talking about...

I have looked online and there are a few PCV's listed as direct replacements( no retainer included )that are to be used along with a replacement grommet. Surprisingly there is very little about this on the internet( even on Impala forums ). I figured for sure someone had come up with a way to replace this in a kit or something but I can't find a thing. Just one thread where someone suggested cutting the retainer off( leave rivets so no leaks )and then use a tight fitting grommet and a PCV that fits.

I have just never seen a PCV that needed a retainer built like a tank to hold it in like that before and I wonder if it is actually needed for some reason I can't think of? I don't want to remove it if it is actually needed as I would have to pull the valve cover and replace it if in fact it is needed and I have cut it off.

Last edited:
Take a screwdriver and pry that bracket up, replace PCV. Then take a punch and tap rivets back into valve cover. GM did the same on my 3.5L.

Last edited:
I've never seen that either, anyway drill into the head of it, use a small chisel and remove the head then remove the bracket. Any reaming rivet grind off smooth call it a day.

Great photo. I have heard about these PCV valves but never seen one. I have also heard what FSully1 wrote--that the fasteners are actually nails, not rivets, and that a good prying tool can pull them off. Again, this is second-hand knowledge, but I say give the pry a try.

I really don't want to cut or drill the rivet head off for fear of the remaining material( post/stud )falling into the engine. The rivet I am told goes through to the inside of the valve cover. That is why I talked of just cutting the retainer without disturbing the rivets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Great photo. I have heard about these PCV valves but never seen one. I have also heard what FSully1 wrote--that the fasteners are actually nails, not rivets, and that a good prying tool can pull them off. Again, this is second-hand knowledge, but I say give the pry a try.

IT is actually a photo I found on the internet. The engine is much cleaner than the one in my Sisters Impala which is why I used it.
grin.gif

Thanks guys. I think I will swing by the local GM garage and see what they say plus talk with a local independent mechanic I know who is really good and see what they say. I am sure at least one has done a replacement. I bet the indy shop guy just yanks it off and replaces as said but I want to be sure before I mess with anything. I don't want to be paying to fix someone else's car.

I would try cleaning it first by spraying it down good with carb cleaner or maybe using some seafoam and soak it overnight but the vacuum line from it actually goes into one of the emissions sensors and I have already replaced it once. It is a PITA to replace and sort of $$$ so I don't want to damage it with chemicals. Plus there is 132K on it now and the engine was abused for a long time. It really needs to be replaced. I think it is contributing to the oil consumption.

Last edited:
Rivet is pressed into the cover less than 1/4" I seen no access through the valve cover. A thin blade screwdriver and maybe a few taps with a hammer, twist and it out. Repeat other side. 5 minutes total time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FSully1
Rivet is pressed into the cover less than 1/4" A thin blade screwdriver and maybe a few taps with a hammer, twist and it out. Repeat other side. 5 minutes total time.

Thanks.

I just wonder if it is the same as on your 3.5L. You would have to have at least an 06 for a 3.5L. What little I have read on the 2005 w/ 3.4L is that it goes through and to replace the VC has to come off.

I am not doubting you or anything. I asked because I don't know. I just want to verify with someone who has done it on this year vehicle before I start prying things.

Thanks again though( seriously ).

I think if I had that model of 3400 I would just skip the whole rivet thing entirely and grab an earlier valve cover from the junkyard. Probably can be swapped in five minutes, assuming nothing is in the way such as the coolant line visible in the foreground of the picture. I was just under the hood of our Impala today ironically and looked over that very area for leaks. Actually I think the one in the picture has a different "elbow" than the earlier years; I wonder why the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back