toyota matrix oil burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Get it fixed @ the dealership, it's FREE. Why live with a faulty engine?? Burning oil will kill your catalyst as well which is NOT covered under any extended warranty.

I repeat for those who haven't read the entire thread...1 qt per 2k miles will not fall under Toyota's definition of excessive consumption and will NOT be fixed for free....1 quart per 1.5k miles may not even be considered excessive.

1 quart per 1.5K miles= not excessive.? Recommended oil change interval is 5,000-mile/6-month. Thats only adding 3.33 quarts to a 4.0 quart engine.

Has anyone ever went to the dealer for an oil change and handed 4 extra quarts after the change, being told that they will need these quarts before next oil change because your car normally consumes 1 quart every 1500 miles? Why would the dealer neglect this? If its normal to consume this much oil why wouldnt they want the sale?

So in summary a normal 2008 Toyota Camry with a 2AZ-FE gets 30miles/gallon gasoline and 5000 miles/gallon oil?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

1 quart per 1.5K miles= not excessive.?

Why would the dealer neglect this? If its normal to consume this much oil why wouldnt they want the sale?

To you or me, that is excessive consumption. Toyota considers it "normal" They don't want to spend millions and millions of dollars rebuilding engines. They would rather you spend an extra $100 in oil over the course of the cars life than them pay $2000-$3000 per car to have the engine pistons/rings replaced.

Follow the almighty dollar and you will find your answer grasshopper.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
There is no apparent mechanical issue here....nor is a consumption issue apparent....merely user OCD...2k miles/qt is well within Toyo's expected measure of consumption.

You can worry from a 1/4 qt drop after 550 miles if you wish or go 2k miles and see where your oil level actually is....patience is a harsh mistress.

5w-30 is the recommended oil down to 0°....and below actually, but certainly to 0....You may be cold at 30, but your engine isn't.

Extended hiway cruising engines will like 30w more than 20w....

Your engine is spec'd for 5w-30 and any variation from that can not be an valid measure of the engine's performance or of oil consumption. (That's what Toyo would say, at least.....when I got the Kitacam, spec'd for 5w-30, the dealer was pleased I had stuck with THAT when going from dino to syn)

Again...you just got your car...enjoy it before reading too much here and begin the cycle of internet worry inherent in such forums.

Looks like you put too much faith in the manufacturers recommendations, now they have admitted there is a fault and offer a recall.

It IS excessive consumption and it DOES highlight an underlying mechanical problem.

Any oil use during an OCI is excessive tbh

Not faith...fact...you may not like it but it is what Toyota says it is...1200mi is its limit of concern/liability...

Some drop in oil is typical for most engines, whether yours drops, or not...whether or not you agree with me or Toyota.....note that I say "typical"...not normal...
From Toyota:
"It is normal for the engine to consume some oil during the operation."

Last edited:
Finally found the documentation of what toyota considers 'normal' for oil consumption.

http://www.classactionsnews.com/sites/de...20Complaint.pdf

Regardless of this known defect, and pursuant to TSB 0094-11, Toyota requires a
customer to first undergo an oil consumption test. The Class Vehicle must be taken to a Toyota dealership where the engine is filled with oil, the engine dipstick marked and then the individual is instructed to drive for 1,200 miles and return for inspection. If the engine consumes greater than one quart of oil then, according to Toyota, TSB 0094-11 applies and the vehicle should be repaired under warranty. If the engine consumes one quart of oil or less then Toyota considers this “normal” oil
consumption and will not repair the engine defect under warranty.

Abnormal:
So if my math is correct.. if my 2008 Camry consumes more than 1 quart every 1200 miles. I will consume more than 4.167 quarts of oil during my 6month/5000mile service.

Capacity 2.4 L 4-cylinder (2AZ-FE) engine 3.8 qt. (3.6 L, 3.2 Imp. qt.) minus filter.

Normal:
If my 2008 camry consumes .98 quart every 1200 miles. I will consume 4.08 quarts of oil during my 6month/5000mile service.
Capacity 2.4 L 4-cylinder (2AZ-FE) engine 3.8 qt. (3.6 L, 3.2 Imp. qt.) minus filter.

Note to self: Buy 9 quarts of oil at each oil change interval. Install 4 quarts at oil change. Keep 5 quarts of oil handy in vehicle. Install 4.08 quarts within the next 5000 miles. Assure myself that this is normal.

Doesnt matter what they say is normal or not. I think its nonsense to make people think a qt every 1200 is normal. I call nonsense. My car has never needed more than 1/2 a quart every 5k miles. I wouldnt care what toyota says..I would kick and scream til i got what i want. Adding 4 qts per 5k mile oci means something aint right. That test..can easily be fudged to show it uses over their set "normal".If you dont say anything who is going to help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back