2.5L Fusion oil capacity discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OM for our '11 Fusion states that the oil capacity is 5.3 quarts (5 liters) with oil filter. When the Fusion was re-designed for '10, and the 2.5L was first used, the OM stated only 5 quarts capacity. Subsequent revisions of the OM stated 5.3 quarts for the '11 and '12 model years. The motor itself was unchanged, however. The 2.5L is still being used in the '15 Fusion, and was also used in the '13 (first year of re-design) and '14. For those model years, Ford went back to a 5 quart capacity, as specified in the OM. Now, honestly, 0.3 quarts probably won't make a difference in the real world, but which is it? 5.0 or 5.3? I'm hoping we have a Ford service tech on here that has some insight as to why the number has changed back and forth over the years
confused2.gif
FWIW, 5.3 quarts does put me just at, if not a mm or so over the full line on the dipstick.

Apparently, you have answered your own question. If 5.3 puts it where it is supposed be (on the dipstick, on level ground) then that is the correct figure.

We do obsess here at BITOG, over things that matter little in this world.

Not an official answer, but I'm looking at a Amsoil's website and what they recommend for 2011 Fusion, and here is what they show:

- 2.5 liter engine code (3) Variable Fuel (presumably flex fuel): 5 quarts

- 2.5 liter engine code (A): 5.3 quarts

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not an official answer, but I'm looking at a Amsoil's website and what they recommend for 2011 Fusion, and here is what they show:

- 2.5 liter engine code (3) Variable Fuel (presumably flex fuel): 5 quarts

- 2.5 liter engine code (A): 5.3 quarts

Interesting. I'll have to check the engine code. They also made a 2.5L hybrid, FWIW. The main reason I want to know this is because I loathe having to keep partial quarts around. This car burns no oil, so a 5qt jug would be all I need for each OCI.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My engine code is "A", so I guess 5.3 quarts it is. I may just fill it with 5 and see where it lands on the dipstick.

Noticed that for a co workers car too...very interesting indeed...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
My engine code is "A", so I guess 5.3 quarts it is. I may just fill it with 5 and see where it lands on the dipstick.

Noticed that for a co workers car too...very interesting indeed...

The only other thing I can think of it that in 2011, Ford began using its IOLM system. Who knows.

My Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L specifies three different capacities in the shop manual.

Engine oil-Oil quantity

Total 5.9L (6.23US qt, 5.19lmp qt)- When replacing a short engine or a block assembly

Oil pan 5.0L (5.28US qt, 4.41lmp qt)

Drain and refill 5.3L (5.60US qt, 4.66lmp qt) Including oil filter

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L specifies three different capacities in the shop manual.

Engine oil-Oil quantity

Total 5.9L (6.23US qt, 5.19lmp qt)- When replacing a short engine or a block assembly

Oil pan 5.0L (5.28US qt, 4.41lmp qt)

Drain and refill 5.3L (5.60US qt, 4.66lmp qt) Including oil filter

What interests me is that according to those quantities listed, about 1 quart remains in the engine after draining!

Sometimes they change oil pans between years as well. even if its the same engine.

Although it sounds like they solved your mystery.. 2 different 2.5L engines.

My '11 Focus with the 2.0L variant of that engine (and lacking VVT) takes 5 quarts to be full on the dipstick. Owners manual and service manual all say 4.5.

What interests me is that according to those quantities listed, about 1 quart remains in the engine after draining!

Found that out when I put the engine on an engine stand and turned it over.....

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My '11 Focus with the 2.0L variant of that engine (and lacking VVT) takes 5 quarts to be full on the dipstick. Owners manual and service manual all say 4.5.

My '07 Focus with that exact same motor took only the specified 4.5 quarts to get to the full line
confused2.gif

The OM for our '11 Fusion states that the oil capacity is 5.3 quarts (5 liters) with oil filter. When the Fusion was re-designed for '10, and the 2.5L was first used, the OM stated only 5 quarts capacity. Subsequent revisions of the OM stated 5.3 quarts for the '11 and '12 model years. The motor itself was unchanged, however. The 2.5L is still being used in the '15 Fusion, and was also used in the '13 (first year of re-design) and '14. For those model years, Ford went back to a 5 quart capacity, as specified in the OM. Now, honestly, 0.3 quarts probably won't make a difference in the real world, but which is it? 5.0 or 5.3? I'm hoping we have a Ford service tech on here that has some insight as to why the number has changed back and forth over the years
confused2.gif
FWIW, 5.3 quarts does put me just at, if not a mm or so over the full line on the dipstick.

I don't know if I would call it a discrepancy but Subaru did the same thing. The redesigned and new engine for the 2012 Subaru Impreza is 5.3 qts and it went down to 5.1 qts for 2013+. I've been doing 5.5 and saving the unused half quart for the next oil change. I wish it were just 5 qt so I don't have to buy an extra quart.

I've been thinking about using just the 5 qt jug as 5.3 put me over full on the dipstick also.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My '07 Focus with that exact same motor took only the specified 4.5 quarts to get to the full line
confused2.gif

Always shows REALLY low on the first pull of the dipstick. When I first got the car, I noticed this but didn't realize it shows dry on the first pull. I ended up adding oil to get it to the full line. Was angry that I had a brand new car that was consuming oil. Until I did an oil change and drained out about 6 quarts.

I've found this discrepancy is fairly widespread in Fords. Most of them typically require half a quart more than what Amsoil's site says to get them to the full mark. Not so with other brands.

I wonder if Ford's definition of full is halfway between the min and max marks on the dipstick? Not all manufacturers view the dipstick the same way. On Honda motorcycles the dipstick is read without threading the cap in and on some other brands of motorcycles it is read by threading the cap all the way in.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
confused2.gif

I don't know if I would call it a discrepancy but Subaru did the same thing. The redesigned and new engine for the 2012 Subaru Impreza is 5.3 qts and it went down to 5.1 qts for 2013+. I've been doing 5.5 and saving the unused half quart for the next oil change. I wish it were just 5 qt so I don't have to buy an extra quart.

I've been thinking about using just the 5 qt jug as 5.3 put me over full on the dipstick also.

I wouldn't buy another quart just for .1 of a quart. We used to have a 3.1 Malibu that called for 4.6 quarts. I either used 4.5 (and it put it right at the full mark) or 5 quarts if using an oversized filter and called it a day. The engine was still spotless and ran fantastic at 150,000 miles when we traded it in. It never consumed any oil, either.

Anywhere between the add and full mark is good. I remember when Ford changed the recommendation on the 7.3 powerstroke's from 14 to 15 quarts. An additional quart and it only put it to the full mark not over.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

The first couple of oil changes for my '12 Outback (Earlier, belt driven cam motor) I could not get the specified 4.25 or 4.4 quarts to fit. Then I discovered that raising the rear wheels the depth of a 2"x4" got another 10oz out of it, and allowed me to put in the specified amount. As I said earlier, this is a site for those that obsess......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back