Replacing alternator on 2007 Pontiac G6 with 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I'm going to be replacing the alternator on this car this week. Anything I need to know on this repair? I'm not going to have the car until Friday so I've not seen the setup on it and have never worked on one of these before but would like to have an idea if there are any trouble spots to this repair.

Thanks.

Wayne

Are you sure it's not just the brush assembly? New brushes don't cost a lot, and can be easy to change.

Last edited:
Most newer alternator's are pressed together. Unless you have the proper tools/pullers you'll probably ruin it taking it apart.

Looks straight forward.

G6.jpg

G6-2.jpg

I want to first say thanks for the replies. This is not my car and I have no idea on how many miles are on it. It is owned by my fiancee's ex-in-laws(ex-husband's parents).

They took it to a shop because the car was making noise and some light was on in the dash and the shop told them it was the alternator going out and wanted to charge them $400 to replace it.

A re-man alternator for this car is right at $170 and none of the parts stores I checked had a new alternator for this application. I don't like using re-man alternators but they just want it fixed and don't care.

I have not seen, heard, or saw what lights may be on, on the dash. They just want the alternator replaced before it fully goes out.

I have no idea if that is really what is wrong with it. I will look at it and put it on my scanner before I do anything to get an idea on what kind of output the alternator is putting out and see if it's in fact making any kind of noises.

I have used Alldata in the past and like it but It doesn't make sense paying for a subscription for a car that is not mine.

Thanks again for the information.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I have used Alldata in the past and like it but It doesn't make sense paying for a subscription for a car that is not mine.

+1 They would do much more business at $9.99 a car but greed rules. For $30 you can get a FSM DVD on ebay all day long which is infinitely more detailed and accurate.

FWIW I wouldn't try to repair the alternator if the car was mine. Last alt I replaced was with an ACDelco reman and it never gave me issues, but that was years ago.

Well, I got to look at the car after work and did some basic testing. I hooked up my scanner that has an attachment to check alternator voltage and battery voltage. The battery showed it was bad at only a little over 12 volts and I found out from the owner that it was the original battery so it's 7 or 8 years old. Those original Delco's can sometimes go awhile.

The alternator was making some noise but showed it was charging at over 14 volts. The owner wanted it replaced before it went out and left him stranded.

The check engine light was also on so I hooked up the scanner for that. There were two codes, one was a PO300 for multiple misfires and the other was a manufacturer specific code which I don't remember the code number since I dropped the scanner and the batteries became dislodged and I lost the info from the car.

The owner had the car tuned up at some point not too long ago so I don't know if the bad battery was causing some electrical issues. I went and bought a new battery and will see what happens tomorrow after I change out the alternator.

Wayne

If you are going to get a reman alternator, get it from the company that manufactured the original. Most aftermarket alternators last about 1 year.

Originally Posted By: wtd
The alternator was making some noise but showed it was charging at over 14 volts.

It sound like its probably just a bad bearing. The diode trio, armature and field, regulator are probably fine.

I would give this place a call and just give them the info for the car and get new bearings and brush holder (inc brushes), you could do a new regulator for laughs.
This is an easy enough rebuild and will better than any Chinese piece of junk or a rebuild done at uncle herbs on the kitchen table with salad utensils.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/general-motors-alternator-parts-kits.aspx

Thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately they need the car back as soon as possible so I don't have the time to order parts and then try to rebuild the alternator.

The noise is pretty loud and they don't want to risk it failing on them so they want it replaced.

I agree on rebuilt alternators. I don't like using them but that is the only thing available locally. It does have a lifetime warranty so if it does go out, the replacement is free.

If this was my personal car, I would be going the route that you guys suggest but these are not "car" people and just want it fixed. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

Wayne

Well, the alternator is replaced. It only took about an hour. Not a bad job other than trying to get the alternator past the radiator hose and my fiancee had to help me get the belt back on because there is no room on that side. She had to hold back on the serpentine belt tool so I could get the belt back on all of the pulleys. I don't think you could have even got the belt off without that tool because there was so little room there.

Car is now quiet and though the check engine light came on and was flashing when I first started the car, it went out and didn't come back on when I took it for a test drive. I did spray out the throttle body with cleaner because it was pretty dirty. You could hear the noise in the alternator when you spun the pulley so I imagine the bearings were going out.

Hopefully the new battery took care of whatever was causing the CEL to come on.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Wayne

Last edited:
Well, the new battery did not cure the CEL. It came back on when they came to pick the car up. Unfortunately they were told that the alternator making noise was causing the CEL to come on.

they were happy that the new alternator was quiet and thats what they paid me to fix.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back