CASTROL MAGNATEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone useing CASTROL MAGNATEC if so the full syn or the syn blend?

If you live in very cold weather can you notice any differance on a cold dry start?

Meaning do you get oil pressure faster and does engine sound like a better crank / start?

I know when i lived in michigan my first car was a 1982 GUTLESS ** Cutless SUPREME **

I used to call it a Gutless.. anyone it was a Oldsmobile 5.7 V8 Diesel and it has 2 750 CCA batteries and when you put the key in the car and turned it half way it would say wait for the glow plugs to warm up...

anyways... if i parked in the heated garage it would start much easier... If i parked it outside the garage but plugged the block warmer that thing was LOUD in the morning and you could hear all kinds of grinding..

Anyways just wondering if anyone whom has used this stuff do they notice anything yet?
Or is there a UOA or does the oil smell or look different?

Originally Posted By: David1
If you live in very cold weather can you notice any differance on a cold dry start?

Meaning do you get oil pressure faster and does engine sound like a better crank / start?

Compared to what? Most of the effects you mention are viscosity-related. Magnatec's clinging effect is at the molecular scale.

Originally Posted By: weasley

Compared to what? Most of the effects you mention are viscosity-related. Magnatec's clinging effect is at the molecular scale.

'zackerly

What specifically is Magnatec? It sounds like marketing bull to me. I mean, sticks to your engine... you could say that about a lot of things, ZDDP, boron esters, other esters... even some VII is pretty tacky. They make glue traps for rodents out of olefin copolymer (an example of VII).

Would not most oils have that molecular clinging effect?
From my understanding most oils have some ester additives and since ester are polar it clings to surfaces.

I have always disliked Castrols marketing and would not be surprised if they use this to make customers believe that Magnatec have a clinging molecular effect that other oils do not have.

It is an ingredient in the oil that has an affinity for metal surfaces, especially when cold. ZDDP doesn't get going until it is warmed up; the Magnatec molecules essentially 'hold the fort' until the cavalry arrives. Furthermore, the molecules show up most noticeably on the surfaces that experience any friction, they don't just cling indiscriminately.

Take a look here. Amongst the marketing messages there are real scientists giving some insight to what's going on.

Hilarious, this is why Im not a Castrol fan. The can wear test compares a cam with "magnatec" and one without - oil that is. So using this stuff is better than no oil at all. Real scientists, on Castrol payroll that is. Marketing at its best.........

Add some Polymer Ester to any oil, and you'll get wear reduction. I've got some on order, and it might be better than Chlorinated Paraffins (too toxic to life, including ours) that I previously used. Starts to work at lower temperatures than zddp does.

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
Hilarious, this is why Im not a Castrol fan. The can wear test compares a cam with "magnatec" and one without - oil that is. So using this stuff is better than no oil at all. Real scientists, on Castrol payroll that is. Marketing at its best.........

The site said it is a Magnatec oil versus an identical oil without the Magnatec chemistry. FWIW.

Incidentally when I drained the Castrol synblend that Magnatec is replacing, it had an unusual, almost fruity smell to it. I wonder if Magnatec will be similar?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Incidentally when I drained the Castrol synblend that Magnatec is replacing, it had an unusual, almost fruity smell to it. I wonder if Magnatec will be similar?

The GTX HM I put in my Taurus had a similar smell.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Magnatec SP (5W40 synthetic A3/B4) smells a little "fruity" (so does Caltex C3 5W30 synthetic).

Magnatec 5W30 economy, and the regular 10W40 dino just smell like oil.

YMMV over there.

so you think this oil is just all marketing ** HYPE **

What the.... I just.....

Nope, I got nothing.

so you think this oil is just all marketing ** HYPE **

No, quite the opposite.

OP has asked if it changes things about an engine that it is not designed to change.

I'd love to work in marketing for one of these oil companies...try our new Smoothie Happy Ending...so slick and sticky...stuff is great!

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I'd love to work in marketing for one of these oil companies...try our new Smoothie Happy Ending...so slick and sticky...stuff is great!

You can't just make stuff up. It's needs to stand up to legal and any advertising standards

When you run two oils in and engine and the only different is molecules. You can get a very different camshaft roughness.

This can then be brought to life via the non engine parts to replicate the surface difference.

Castrol claim to use the seq IVA engine test. And then magnify the post test parts by 15x. This engine has 12 cam lobes and costs $18k to run. You can hardly stick a Camshaft lobe to each bottle.

What the.... I just.....

Nope, I got nothing.

Here, I'll break in down for you, and I'll try to use easy words. When you watch the third video titled "The Proof" - LOL, it compares cam wear WITH "magnetec" and WITHOUT. It doesnt say with brand X oil or other type of oil, just "without".
Now here across the pond we employ critical thinking and examine that statement. It is very carefully constructed as to make the easily influenced believe this snake oil is better than anything else, including Castrol full synthetic or anything else on the planet. Looking at the wear on the cams, it looks like the non magnesnakeoiltec cam is severely worn. If that is the typical wear from any other oil, all our engines would be [censored].
Too bad, even Vladimir from Moscow didnt even convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back