"High end" oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve decided to do a “high end” oil filter comparison for automotive style filters. High end meaning filters with a synthetic filter media. The contenders are:
-Fleetguard with Stratapore media;
-Amsoil Ea;
-Royal Purple;
-Wix XP;
-Fram Ultra.

IMG_20150111_205231_207_zps21720718.jpg

I’ve also included two “standard, off the shelf” filters:
-Mobil1 Extended;
-Fram Xtra Guard.

IMG_20150111_205435_961_zpsc88ddff9.jpg

Starting with the standard filters, the Mobil1 is a high quality filter using metal end caps and nice looking pleats. The media joint is glued together, a minus in oil filters. It has a can thickness of .0230 inch.

The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided. The pleats are few and not evenly spaced. It does have a steel crimp to join the media ends. The can thickness is .0170 inch.

Standard filters were included to show what’s out there in the “normal” auto parts store. The Mobil1 Extended is similar to a K&N, WIX (non-XP), Hastings, Bosch, etc, or most of the higher priced filters. Any of these will do you just fine. The Fram is the bottom of the barrel, similar to store brands, STP, Penzoil, no name brands and some ACDelco filters. Many of these filters have a plastic center tube. It’s best to steer away from any of these filters.

Moving onto the high end filters:

Amsoil: It has two layers of filter media, the inner one is a thinner but tough sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Under it all is metal screening. The media ends are glued together. The can thickness is .0250 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

IMG_20150111_210356_275_zps3d7a4ff0.jpg

Fram Ultra: A single layer of filter media with a reinforcing screen is used here. Steel crimped media ends. The can thickness is .0180 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

IMG_20150111_210036_939_zpsb6c7f27f.jpg

Royal Purple: It has two layers of filter media, the inner is a thinner sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Underneath is metal screening. Glued media ends. Can thickness is .0210 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

IMG_20150111_205724_041_zps85c01ea9.jpg

Wix XP: Two layers of filter media, they're both pretty tough but the same. Metal screening backs it up. .0140 inch can thickness. Coil spring bypass spring.

IMG_20150111_210005_738_zps8f2ca738.jpg

Fleetguard: It has two layers of filter media, the inner one is a thinner but tough sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Under it all is metal screening. Steel crimped media ends. The can thickness is .0360 inch. Coil spring bypass spring.

IMG_20150111_205553_359_zpsc319e4db.jpg

Conclusion: Any of these high end synthetic media filters are plenty better than a regular filter. All will serve you well, even the Fram. Out of the bunch, I rate the Fleetguard King of the Hill-it has the best features throughout: Top shelf media, crimped media ends, the thickest can. It’s hard to find and not all applications are available with the Stratapore media. I’d rate the WIX XP next and the Royal Purple third with the Amsoil & Fram behind. But it’s a tight race, all are very good. The WIX XP is very close to the Amsoil (with the exception of the bypass spring) and identical to the NAPA Platinum-WIX makes all three filters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics!

Amsoil EaO and RP are the same (minus can and ADBV valve color)

Have you tried separating the Fram Ultra dual layer media or are they bonded together? Or is it just a thick media? Other dual layer media filters isn't bonded together.

The Mobil 1 filter is not a standard filter it's considered top of the line for blended media filters. Hardly a fair comparison against the entry level extra guard.

Also your fear of fiber based end caps is not anything different than we are used to seeing. If you understood the function of the end cap you would see that fiber is about the same as steel and has advantages including better seal with adbv and bypass as well as better bond with the potting adhesive.

Both the older Xtended guards and newer Ultras used dual layer synthetic media. It's probably hard for you to distinguish.

Also what you are calling the bypass Springs are actually retaining spring. The Fram Ultra XG3980 contains no internal bypass as it's designated for GM engines with internal engine block bypass valves.

Also K&N filters are no longer made by Champion labs and not comparable to Mobil 1. They are now made in foreign countries including Korea/Mexico and went from mid 90s efficiency to mid 80s.

call me crazy but that was some really bad info and comparison but decent pictures.

In my opinion, your diagnosis and opinion (not facts) of this so called "filter comparison" is god awful...

Originally Posted By: Paul_Bell
The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided. ...

And that's when you lost me ... Anecdotal analysis may be interesting, but really proves nothing other than we know what they look like on the inside. It is interesting that people will poo-poo the use of a "leaf" spring, except that Amsoil uses one, and suddenly it became acceptable. When it comes to endcaps, some brands also use "cardboard" (more accurately described as fiber), and some use none at all, preferring only resin. So why the bias for metal? If one understood WHY certain choices are made, then this bias would not be so profound or important, if at all.

Also, none of this speaks efficiency or capacity in terms of any kind of ranking, although I believe any of these would offer FAR MORE capability than the typical BITOGer is ever going to consume anyway. Most of these "high end" filters are going into the receptical long before they are even close to being fully utilized. Even "normal" filters are typically not used in any manner close to their end of lifecycle.

For those who like to choose based upon superficial decisions and bias, this is very helpful.
For those who like to choose based upon functional criteria, actual performance, and competent engineering, it's generally moot.

Last edited:

The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided.

Why is the "cardboard" OK for the filter media but not the endcaps?

Interesting-the Amsoil, RP, & Stratapore all seem to have the same (guessing Donaldson?) media! My biggest fear of the Extra Guard isn't the fiber end caps as much as those WIDE pleats, very Purolator Classic-esque, any moisture, short tripping-those will fold over, distort, & pull down on the endcap, causing ADBV failure or possibly even allowing oil to bypass the media altogether.

@Paul_Bell

You lost me when you compared Mobil to the Fram OC and called the Mobil a "standard filter". Mobil uses synthetic fibres in their filters.

Mobil is rated for up to 15k miles. It doesn't have the wired-backed media like the others in your comparison, but it is capable of doing the job.

One key thing lacking in your comparison is efficiency info, which is essential when comparing how good a filter is. I would argue efficiency is more important that what kind of media is used in a filter.

Thanks for the C&P.

However the oil filter is not near as important as the oil you use.
Many engines go several hundred thou on the OCOD with regular OCIs.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided.

The end caps are actually not cardboard. They are a fiber material.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided. ...

And that's when you lost me ... Anecdotal analysis may be interesting, but really proves nothing other than we know what they look like on the inside. It is interesting that people will poo-poo the use of a "leaf" spring, except that Amsoil uses one, and suddenly it became acceptable. When it comes to endcaps, some brands also use "cardboard" (more accurately described as fiber), and some use none at all, preferring only resin. So why the bias for metal? If one understood WHY certain choices are made, then this bias would not be so profound or important, if at all.

Also, none of this speaks efficiency or capacity in terms of any kind of ranking, although I believe any of these would offer FAR MORE capability than the typical BITOGer is ever going to consume anyway. Most of these "high end" filters are going into the receptical long before they are even close to being fully utilized. Even "normal" filters are typically not used in any manner close to their end of lifecycle.

For those who like to choose based upon superficial decisions and bias, this is very helpful.
For those who like to choose based upon functional criteria, actual performance, and competent engineering, it's generally moot.

Yep what he said

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: itguy08

The end caps are actually not cardboard. They are a fiber material.

This is Fact!

And yet no evidence of that happening right?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Interesting-the Amsoil, RP, & Stratapore all seem to have the same (guessing Donaldson?) media! My biggest fear of the Extra Guard isn't the fiber end caps as much as those WIDE pleats, very Purolator Classic-esque, any moisture, short tripping-those will fold over, distort, & pull down on the endcap, causing ADBV failure or possibly even allowing oil to bypass the media altogether.

Well this garnered some responses!

The purpose of this was to show the filters on the market today with the better synthetic media and how they're constructed.

I've re-examined the Fram Ultra, it's just a single layer. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I can't see any difference between the M1 filter media and another good quality filter. It's just a well made filter with good components. It's still a great filter to rely on and I use it when I work on friends cars.

Regardless of end cap material-cardboard or a fiber board, it can flex under pressure. Why save two bucks and use this design?

I'm glad I chased down all these filters, spent the money, time and effort doing this. I welcome others to do the same.

I'll stand by my conclusion that all these high end filters are great filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back