Fram TG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This refers to not only the Fram TG but other oiled air filters. Since its 9 below zero here in Western MA tonight I got to thinking at what point does the oil coating an oiled air filter Medea become frozen solid and making the filter near a sold piece of useless brick like substance? Are standard paper filters more effective at lower tempetures?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
This refers to not only the Fram TG but other oiled air filters. Since its 9 below zero here in Western MA tonight I got to thinking at what point does the oil coating an oiled air filter Medea become frozen solid and making the filter near a sold piece of useless brick like substance? Are standard paper filters more effective at lower tempetures?

I actually found this intressting from what I read motor oil doesn't freeze (as defined by crystallization). How ever it does thicken up a lot as it gets cold. No doubt about that, so no real worry of a frozen solid oil filter.

I can't say what effects it would have on a oil filter but I'm willing to guess a synthetic oil filter media would be a bit tougher.

You're probably fine with the oiled air filters like TG and P1.

And remember, the filter media isn't pure oil; it's paper that's very lightly coated with oil. Paper is already solid at those low temps. The viscosity of the oil likely has little effect on the filter's ability to trap dirt.

Even if it did freeze, the filter still wouldn't be a big brick since there is enough space between the pleats.

Anyway, oil is usually good to at least -35 F

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

I actually found this intressting from what I read motor oil doesn't freeze (as defined by crystallization). How ever it does thicken up a lot as it gets cold. No doubt about that, so no real worry of a frozen solid oil filter.

I can't say what effects it would have on a oil filter but I'm willing to guess a synthetic oil filter media would be a bit tougher.

Who was talking about an Oil Filter?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Who was talking about an Oil Filter?
21.gif

It appears I miss read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back