0' Degree Start Up Worries.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: rccraw
In that same vein,would it be wise to use an 0w-30 oil in a cold climate, vs a 10w-30 which is what is recommended in my older vehicles?

Yes 0w-30 is a must in the Midwest during the winter and then use a High mileage oil during the summer.

Are you kidding me? I guess the decades of using 10/30 or 5/30 in the midwest, resulted in many, many people not getting to work each day.

If your car doesn't crank 5/30 at 0 degrees, there are other issues.

I'll pile on too. If you don't start at 0 degrees with a 5w30, then something else is amiss - not the engine oil.

I remember when 5w30 was considered too thin and new fangled stuff. 10w30 was the norm. Yet somehow, living in Minnesota, we still got started and went to work.

Is 0w30 a must in the midwest? No.

FWIW, my truck is running 5w20 and has started up fine after nights in the teens below zero (not windchill - actual temp). My work Explorer started fine yesterday after not being run for over a week in the sub zero temps, and it gets bulk fleet 5w30 oil.

Modern fuel injection has cured a great deal of the issues that used to plague cold starts.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It has to get pretty darn cold to gain any real "benefit" from a 0w, in fact many of them are thicker than their 5w counterparts at typical winter temperatures in many locations.

That's what I was thinking. 0W30 is also thicker at operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

0W30 is also thicker at operating temperature.

Thicker than what?

Originally Posted By: offroader613
Was -20F the other day and my Jeep with 5w-40 T6 showed little hesitation starting. Even my folks' WJ (also a 4.0) started alright and I think that's got some sort of 10w-30 conventional in it, not sure why when we use 5w-30 in almost everything else

I did a pour test with a quart of RT6 and 10w-30 conventional. The 10w-30 conventional poured a bit better after spending the night in the freezer.

Right, and depending upon which 0w-30 one chooses. Some have a higher HTHS than a typical 5w-30 or 10w-30 (i.e. Euro 0w-30s or HDEO 0w-30s) and others are ILSAC rated, like AFE or Petro-Canada 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

0W30 is also thicker at operating temperature.

Thicker than what?

Thicker than thick! Duh.
blush.gif

I'm only familiar with Euro 0W30 oils, they have lower pour point, but they are generally thicker than 5W30. At higher temps they are closer to a 0W40 or 5W40, than a 5W30. If it's so cold that 5W30 is not cutting it I'd be thinking perhaps about a block heater.

It's kinda funny that OP says it could even be a belt but people are discussing oil. Could be because it's a high mileage car, weak battery, weak starter, old belts and pulleys. It's not going to sound the same as a brand new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back