My late lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
here it is,what I got at the store.

Water-carrot,potatoes-seasoned beef-salt-sodium phosphate- celery-tomato puree- wow with modified food starch...hmmm good-flavoring( do not know what kind)-potassium chloride,oh joy.--Yeast extract,what the- and vegetable oil?- diced tomatoes in tomato juice-corn green beans peas-more beef and beef fat-onions/ Lower sodium natural sea salt( I feel better now).

caramel color spice Di-sodium inosinate and disodium guanylate--what is that?

flavoring from vegetable oil-more sodium phosphate-dextrose, and citric acid.

and the answer is::: Campbell s Chunky " Old fashioned vegetable beef"

Mom-ma never make vegetable beef soup this way,,,,did she?

we get what we pay for in health problems.

Did you happen to see the sodium levels in a can of soup?? CRAZY!!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Water-carrot,potatoes-seasoned beef-salt-sodium phosphate- celery-tomato puree- wow with modified food starch...hmmm good-flavoring( do not know what kind)-potassium chloride,oh joy.--Yeast extract,what the- and vegetable oil?- diced tomatoes in tomato juice-corn green beans peas-more beef and beef fat-onions/ Lower sodium natural sea salt( I feel better now).

Citric acid is natural in fruit.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Most of the things in your list will not hurt you in any way and is probably better than most of the things on the shelf at the store. In fact, based on the list, it is pretty close to what you mom makes!

The first ingredient you seem to have an issue with is potassium chloride, this is a fancy name for salt substitute. Normal salt is NaCl, Sodium Chloride. to reduce sodium the salt substitutes uses KCl, Potassium Chloride. Nothing to see here. My mom does use salt substitute!

Next up is yeast extract, it's used because it has a natural savory flavor. Instead of using a bunch of artificial flavors, this is a natural one that works pretty well. Good for them for using it. It's a good idea.

Next one is Lower sodium natural sea salt. This is a good idea! Salt is the worlds most common spice, sea salt has more flavor because it has more impurities, Lower sodium natural sea salt is a great way to lower your salt intake.

Disodium inosinate is the first ingredient that your mom probably didn't use. It's just a flavoring agent that is used in place (or to augment) MSG, which gives people headaches and has gotten a poor reputation. They are using this in place of MSG. Kudos to them.

Since you asked, disodium guanylate is not actually present in the food in a large amount. It's a processing agent used on some crops and protein additives, like soy.

Finally sodium phosphate, this is a leavening agent used in food production (like baking), not really present in food in large amounts. Saying that this is bad is analogous to saying that homemade cinnamon rolls i made last week were unhealthy because they contained a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate. Sodium Bicarbonate is baking soda.

Start looking at how many foods have citric acid added to them.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Start looking at how many foods have citric acid added to them.
crazy2.gif

Such as citrus fruit?

hotwheels

I meant like some ice cream and cheeses. If you are someone that can't stomach a lot of acid, you start realizing it shows up in some weird stuff as preservative.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Did you happen to see the sodium levels in a can of soup?? CRAZY!!

I diluted with same amount of water and it still too salty.

I've fallen out of favor with prepared soups. Weird stuff in them that tends to not sit well with me. Had lunch of Olive Garden yesterday, and could feel the water being sucked out of me from all the salt.

Yeah everything fast food or restaurant is insanely high salt. If you dont notice it, it just means you arent easy on the salt at home! I notice it more than anything on any kind of food i dont prep myself..

No thanks.

I'll make up a big pot of my own soup, and then freeze it in smaller glass containers. I can then heat up the smaller containers when I want a bowl of soup.

I can make a far better tasting soup, far healthier, low or no sodium, and much less expensive than the junk in the can. And with my soup, I know exactly what went into it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No thanks.

I'll make up a big pot of my own soup, and then freeze it in smaller glass containers. I can then heat up the smaller containers when I want a bowl of soup.

I can make a far better tasting soup, far healthier, low or no sodium, and much less expensive than the junk in the can. And with my soup, I know exactly what went into it.
I agree, home made is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back