hy-per lube zinc replacement additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loobed

I am guessing that this stuff wouldn't be good for motorcycles with wet clutches.

It is not a friction modifier, it is an anti-wear additive.

So don't expect any mpg increases.

Last edited:
They suggest a 12 oz. bottle per 4-5 quarts.

You really only need about 1 oz/quart with oils that have about 750ppm of phos and zinc.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I wonder what is the actual VI of this stuff??

It's about 229.

If Hyperlube ZRA is KL 135, then its VI is 139.
Aresebrochure01_Page_04_zps0e4f4ca0.jpg

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
You cannot assume Hyper is using KL135 or any other KLXXX alone.

Yes, and they most certainly would not tell you IF you asked (the old 'proprietary' bull routine you know).
frown.gif

And one more thing.

For people who say you can't reduce NOAC volatility using a GroupI, II or III base oil, take a look at the above chart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I just re-read this thread. I'm significantly more interested in this stuff.

Yes, I just re-read it myself. May use this or Lubegard next time.

When I put LubeGard BioTech in my new to me Saturn SC2 with 156,000 miles, I noticed a definitive "freeing up" of the engine. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like revving up the engine in Neutral vs revving it up in gear, if you know what I mean??

I know exactly what you mean.
And I can't find lubegard anywhere.
Are you trying to tease me or.........

When I put LubeGard BioTech in my new to me Saturn SC2 with 156,000 miles, I noticed a definitive "freeing up" of the engine. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like revving up the engine in Neutral vs revving it up in gear, if you know what I mean??

Can't you order it online, from some business, like Amazon??

Clevy-Amazon my friend, order it from them. They have quarts and a HD version as well. If Amazon doesn't ship to Canada then I stand corrected.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
greetings:

i have not checked to see if my local auto stores carry the hyper-lube zinc replacement addy, someday i will check and maybe give it a try.

However, I remember seeing the hyper lube oil supplement(linky below) at the wally world i usually go to and thought I would ask if anyone has any thoughts on it....
http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Oil-Supplement-c6.html

That's not the same thing.

What you linked to is the goo, much like the old STP blue bottle oil thickener.

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Oil-Supplement-c6.html is only good for "smokers."
57.gif

Last edited:
thanks for posting that vintageant...
since i am learning from the forum, i have some questions regarding that linky above that shows zinc and zddp analysis...

are they not one and the same? or are they different? Is zinc the only value one should look at or look and take both into account?

Because if both values are taken into account then it seems to me there would be too much zinc in the oils than is necessary.

i am not formally edumucated in this field so sorry about all the questions.

ok, so i have reread the article and see that the zddp is calculated and the zinc and phosphorous are from analysis...

so i think that i have answered my own question, and that the zinc value alone is likely the one to use for choosing your oil, but let me know other wise,

thanks

Last edited:
thanks, i had found the first linky via search...and its a good read for rookies like me!!!

and I do have one of those older vehicles pre1980, in the form of 1978 chevy truck, i am slowly restoring. it has the 400 engine and came from the factory with heavy duty emissions ie no catalytic converter, therefore my interest in this thread.

thank you again sir.

Last edited:
The http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Replacement-Additive-c7.html

is a no-zinc formula for extra anti-wear capabilities that replaces zinc for vehicles in which higher ZDDP levels may affect the catalytic converter.

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Oil-Supplement-c6.html is an oil thickener for engines that may have oil loss and bad rings, i.e., an engine that is "loosy-goosy."

All you need in an older engine is a good modern oil of the proper viscosity. For a 400, we run a 10W30 or a 10W40, depending on whether it is a "parade" car or whether it is tracked, respectively.

Has this engine been rebuilt or did you receive it with high mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back