is all diesel fuel now b5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So every pump I see says b5 bio diesel. It may say up 5% bio diesel I can't quite remember. I looked it up on a website and it only listed like 4 gas stations in all of Texas which had bio diesel. I find that hard to believe when every pump I go to advertises bio diesel. My reason for asking this is because I've always used stanadyne lubricity additive and if stations have bio diesel now I was going to stop using it since it's not needed then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure all our pumps have b5. I've seen some with b10. I bet it's like ethanol. Most likely mandated by the government. At least biodiesel is a benefit unlike ethanol. I'm in Canada though so it might be totally different.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
No mention of it on our pumps

At loves in lenwood near barstow diesel pumps say something about a biodiesl percentage.

According to federal regs, if the fuel has a B5 or lower amount, there is no requirement to list anything on the pump saying it has bio in it. B5 or more, then there must be labeling at the pump to show biodiesel. Not the actual percentage is required to be listed. Many outlets that have B5 or higher just have stickers that say something like "between B5 and B20". This is similar to the E10 game. Stations are not required to show gas with ethanol levels of only 10%. Though many will only because of consumer demand for that info. But they are required by law to state if gas has E15 or more.

True, but I regularly get diesel that has bio levels of 10% or more. I just never worry about it. I have been using bio laced fuels for almost a decade now, year round, with no appreciable issues. Occasionally, maybe a more frequent fuel filter change in cold weather. But I have a visual filter bowl that lets me know when filter is just about ready to change and I can have it changed in 5 minutes. I just look for the lowest price I can get diesel for. When a person like me goes thru 20,000+ gallons of a fuel per year, price always matters as does fuel economy. And my fuel economy requirements in my commercial vehicles is much stricter than any government CAFE stuff. They are playing catch up to me.

B5 is pretty widespread in the US, it has the benefit of making our ULSD work in older and the newest injection pumps, notably the Bosch CP4 which was grenading rather quickly if used with regular #2 without any additional lubrication. Our diesel generally sucks in the lubricity department and the high pressure injection pumps were not liking it at all. Bio happens to be a great lubricant and carbon neutral in theory as well as a great detergent for the fuel system. Sometimes it's a little too good at cleaning though and will knock enough crud loose to plug a few filters after switching over. It's also a little harsh on rubber fuel lines that aren't rated for bio use.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
B5 is pretty widespread in the US, it has the benefit of making our ULSD work in older and the newest injection pumps, notably the Bosch CP4 which was grenading rather quickly if used with regular #2 without any additional lubrication. Our diesel generally sucks in the lubricity department and the high pressure injection pumps were not liking it at all. Bio happens to be a great lubricant and carbon neutral in theory as well as a great detergent for the fuel system. Sometimes it's a little too good at cleaning though and will knock enough crud loose to plug a few filters after switching over. It's also a little harsh on rubber fuel lines that aren't rated for bio use.

This is what irks me. People say new common rail diesels run off of new fuels just fine, then you hear about the latest injection pump failing because it can't run off of regular diesel.

I suppose, but there are millions of diesels running around just the U.S. every day and fuel pump failures are not very common. Even when nothing is added to the fuel for lubricity and such.

Most places have gone to B11 here in Illinois. Missouri stickers say "Percentage between Bx and Bxx" usually 5 and 11.
I just changed fuel filters in my Powerstroke yesterday. I wasted my time. They were spotless, the diesel drained from the frame filter was clean and green. I do add either FPPF, Redline, or Opti-Lube every tank though. Can't say if it helps or not, but makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
In France, diesel will go up to B8, was B7 until now. Not that many of you will fuel your car there though...

Maybe in May if I'm in Corsica with the Unimog camper.

Charlie

Because Illinois mandates more than 5% biodiesel, Mercedes Benz would not sell diesel vehicles a few years ago in Il. because they don't recommend anything more than 5%. After a couple of years they started selling diesel vehicles again with the recommendation of shorter oic's and more frequent fuel filter changes. They were also going to eat more warranty work. Far as I know they still say anything more than 5% voids your warranty. They really don't like biodiesel in their engines.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
There are some studies that show even small amounts of bio cause fuel dilution more so than what has been seen from straight diesel fuel.

I suppose, but I would guess those mostly come from folks with some sort of an agenda. I have used anything from B2 on up thru B20 for most of this century, upwards of 20,000 gallons of fuel a year, and do regular UOA's on my commercial trucks and have never seen any fuel dilution on Cummins and Detroit engines. I fuel frequently in Illinois and Iowa where the bio is usually between 10% and 15% most of the year. Only drops to lessor levels in the really cold periods of the year.

none of the fuel where i live contains any biodiesel. it is available in three grades though and there is 20 cent difference between the two
1 is ultra low sulfur road diesel
2 is low sulfur road diesel

You might want to check Flying J / Pilot, Loves, etc truck stops. I drive commercially and I have yet to find one any where, including KY, that doesn't have bio blend diesel. Keep in mind, a retailer is not required by federal law to label the pump if the bio blend is 5% or less. Check with the station manager.

And you are misinformed. There is no legal low sulfur road diesel. Only ULSD. Been that way for about a decade. Some off road diesel might be LSD, but even most of it is ULSD. And off road diesel does not have road tax on it, which would explain the price difference.

No mention of any bio-diesel here in SE Virginia on any diesel pumps I have seen. Flying J sells biodiesel mix in Suffolk 30 miles away, buts 30 cents more per gallon than the $2.73 at the WAWA 2 miles from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back