Castrol synblend additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a recent SN version UOA or VOA of the castrol synblend that was cleared out at autozone? I could only find 3 quarts in the local stores around here, need 3 more for an oil change and was curious about what other oils have similar additive packs that I can mix them with if necessary. I know what GTX has and what Syntec has which is completely different add packs to each other. So which one does this have? Is it the same as the High Mileage GTX minus the seal conditioners?

Last edited:
A voa only tells you a portion of what's actually in the oil. They cannot see the organic additives.
Which is why so many here cry that royal purple is no better than valvoline due to them being similar however the truth of the matter is they are only similar in the additives the lab can see,which is not a complete picture.

Well that is true but I think it would still be a good idea to have as much as we can to be similar, like syntec using high amounts of Magnesium instead of calcium that the GTX and GTX HM Blend uses. Would like to at least stick to the detergents being similar.

well the walmarts we have here (cheapest I know of as far as where to get it) only has the 5qt jugs, didn't want to buy that and still have 2 quarts left over but it is something I have considered. They did have the GTX HM in qts though, but I don't know if the add pack is similar.

Last edited:
their regular price on those quarts was 7$, not worth it to me. Still curious as to the add pack of this oil.

Last edited:
both those are on chevy engines, are they known for shedding iron like that? or is it the oil? Looks like the additive pack is decent enough. Thanks.

Only Castrol knows the stuff you are asking and they are not talking.

So use the Synblend, return it, or throw it away.

You only have three bucks invested in the oil.

Maybe you could give it to someone next year for Christmas.

I found some UOA's on it before I decided to run it in our KIA. It had a boron heavy add pack, with no sodium and a little moly IIRC. Since it's a dexos rated synblend you can figure it has a decent amount of syn base in it for a blend as well.

I really like it in the KIA, have already run two OCI's of it and would run more if I could score some more at AZ, so far I've got zero. I do plan to UOA this current fill and I'm close to doing so. Even if I don't get to run it again I figure all those who scored big on the stuff would like to see it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I found some UOA's on it before I decided to run it in our KIA. It had a boron heavy add pack, with no sodium and a little moly IIRC. Since it's a dexos rated synblend you can figure it has a decent amount of syn base in it for a blend as well.

I really like it in the KIA, have already run two OCI's of it and would run more if I could score some more at AZ, so far I've got zero. I do plan to UOA this current fill and I'm close to doing so. Even if I don't get to run it again I figure all those who scored big on the stuff would like to see it.
that would be awesome KC! Thanks

Thanks KC. I tried to score like 60 quarts of this stuff before my order was canceled and it became too late to find much in the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back