Napa Silver 15-20k OCI? Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
This poor Napa Silver was taken for at least a 15-20k OCI in a 1999 Subaru Forester by the MIL. Overall i think the filter is built very solid. The only strange thing was an inner rubber area was wavy.

http://imgur.com/a/vTbRu

The engine itself may be fine, or it may explode. It only drained about 1.5 quarts. there is an oil leak coming from either the crank/oil pump or cam seals but its not enough for me to bother.

In went the Fram Extra Guard and 5w30 Vavonline nextgen until I visit again in about 6 months. The engine sounded great before the oil change, and sounded fine immediately after.

Cool , Done its job
wink.gif

Looks like a Wix metal thread end bypass, but to view it completely you would need to remove the adbv from it. What you seeing is the nitrile/rubber portion of the bypass, just with some waves from use which would not affect function.

For a look at a pristine traditional Wix bypass with a good look at the inner rubber and adbv removed check the link below and the post from Johnny248.

The Silver shown and ProSelect in the link are a little unusual in that they both use Wix thread end bypass. Many use a nitrile combo valves. Imo, that is a good thing though I have no idea how they choose which applications will get which design.

Filter looks fine, especially with the oci/fci factored in.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2104656&page=1

Looks like that filter went above and beyond!

I also had a leaky, burning Forester. Around 160k I started using QS Defy and it significantly decreased consumption. It may be worth looking at a HM oil next time, especially if your MIL is not big on checking the oil level.

yep she probably dodged a bullet, heres to hoping it goes for another 6 months
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

The engine itself may be fine, or it may explode. It only drained about 1.5 quarts. there is an oil leak coming from either the crank/oil pump or cam seals but its not enough for me to bother.

You might want to check the oil level more often and keep that poor boy topped off. No blood = death for humans ... no oil = death for engines.
grin.gif

yep she probably dodged a bullet, heres to hoping it goes for another 6 months
smile.gif

Agreed...MIL needs a class on how to check/add oil!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

You might want to check the oil level more often and keep that poor boy topped off. No blood = death for humans ... no oil = death for engines.
grin.gif

i would if i didnt live 200 miles away. my lecturing falls on deaf ears too.

Napa suggests the Silver for 3-4k OCI's, but Wix construction is typically very stout even on the "cheap" Wix made filters. Looks very good.

That is one tiny filter with very little media to run for that OCI. I'm impressed that it held up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back