Job applicant turns down job offer, now wants job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Single women often treat men the same way this one treated the job offer.

Ha

Awesome.

I hire/fire up to 100 guys a year. It's the nature of the business.
I won't refer people for work anymore unless they are exceptional,and there aren't many of those kinds of people coming up anymore.
So at most I would pass the message on saying she is looking for work. That's it though.
I've found that people think they are getting screwed,,until they set foot outside my umbrella and find that the job world is a cruel place and maybe getting an actual cheque consistently is better than promises that never come to fruition.
For example I get guys all the time asking for bog wages,and tell me that I have to match what the crew across the street offered,however I know all local crews,and the guys across the street pay when they feel like it if at all.
So I made my offer which was 5 bucks less per hour than the across the street crew,but I felt my offer was fair based on his performance.
Fast forward a month. Same guy walks onto my site again begging for work,and is now very happy with my offer.
Why you might ask.
Because he staved all month and when it came time to get paid his employers truck payments and kids hockey camp was more important than paying the wages to his men.
Promises are made everyday. No you won't get rich working for me. I'm not rich,however I guarantee my men will get paid every hour they work.
Sometimes the reality looks nothing like the dream. Waking up is hard,but the sooner you see what's really out there to be had the better off you'll be.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
In my opinion, the correct way to handle the situation is to have the young lady contact the boss directly. She'll never learn to stand up for herself by asking someone else to do things for her. It's her responsibility to explain the reasons why she didn't take the job to begin with, and it's her responsibility to explain why she does want it now. On a side note, it's not that uncommon for someone to turn down a position with a company, only to reapply and get hired at a later date.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I agree with all the above. My only other response is will she still secretly be looking once she has this job? I understand always wanting to better yourself, but it would be a waste of time for your company to hire her only for her to last a few months.

That's a risk that is taken by any business hiring any employee. It's why a business has to work hard to not only attract talented employees, but also to retain talented employees.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Best. Post. Ever.

Most. Immature. Posts. Ever.

I understand its always a risk, but this lady seems a bit more wishy washy than a person who just came in for an interview and got the job a few days later. She originally turned down the job and no wants it back? Its a double edged sword I suppose.

Since there are other applicants now, it seems like due diligence would mean the boss goes through a round of interviews and picks the best candidate. Maybe its her, maybe its not.

She's damaged goods. Boss will now know her true intent and be very skeptical with hiring her. He knows she's looking for a job that pays more, when she does, she's gone. No manager wants to have to keep going throught he revolving door or hiring and training. I'd tell her to talk to him personally and I'd stay well away from that situation.

I'm staying out of it and will let her call my boss. If she has bills to pay and kids to feed, no reasonable person would of turned down this job offer.

This is what she turned down:
$22.60 an hour plus regular OT
12 paid holidays (labor day, memorial day, 4th July, Xmas, etc...)
2 weeks vacation
2 weeks sick pay
40 hours of 'personal business' can be used anytime (doctors appointments, leave work early cause kid sick at school, Airbag recall car at dealer getting repaired, etc...)
Health, dental, vision and LT disability insurance
$10,000 worth of tuition reimbursement per year
401K and voluntary pension
Paid company training

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Best. Post. Ever.

Oh yes!. A big "plus one"

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I'm staying out of it and will let her call my boss. If she has bills to pay and kids to feed, no reasonable person would of turned down this job offer.

2 weeks vacation
2 weeks sick pay
40 hours of 'personal business' can be used anytime (doctors appointments, leave work early cause kid sick at school, Airbag recall car at dealer getting repaired, etc...)
Paid company training

WOW!

Great benefit package for a newbie! Add all that up and the pay is more like 60-70k per year.

You're definitely right in my opinion- no reasonable person would/should turn that offer down!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

2 weeks vacation
2 weeks sick pay
Paid company training

Good call. If he is still interested in her and wants references/feedback on her job performance, then he will inquire with you.

In 2 years she would have gotten a $7000 raise and would be making the money she was originally asking for. Like I said before its decent money for an associates degree and she had plans to finish bachelors degree so tuition reimbursement comes into play.

Never turn down a job if you don't have anything else lined up, maybe she was hoping the big boss would have some wiggle room on starting pay.

Personally, I'd stay out of it and let her contact the boss directly. If she turns out to be a "dud", you'll cop some of the blame.

Slightly off topic, but is 2 weeks vacation (we call it annual leave or holidays) considered good in the US? Most jobs here give 4 weeks per year. (Mine actually gives 6 weeks). And there's never a question that long weekends (Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Australia Day, Queens Birthday, etc.) are paid days off. Since I've already derailed the thread, is $47k considered a good wage there?

Update:

Woman accepted job offer with a slight pay increase at $24.00 an hour.

I asked the big boss if he could increase the starting pay on her offer letter to help her out.

^^^ Good deal ... hope it all works out positive for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back