Toyo Performance tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local tire guy is big on Toyo performance tires and he is trying to sell me a set for my 2013 Mustang GT. I have little knowledge of Toyo performance tires anyone own them who could comment on them? Are they any good? The tires in question are the Toyo Proxis T1 Sport.

Toyo are good tyres but I prefer Yokohama. It's always worth paying extra for tyres, they're as important a safety feature as your brakes.

I have been selling tires for 14 years. Toyo are in my top 2 brand recommendations. They always give great service.
However, I haven't sold any of that particular tire.

I have sold a lot of the TOYO proxes 4 plus but that is more of a high performance all season tire. That tire would definitely last longer than the others but wouldn't stick as good plus the T1 is a summer tire.
It all comes down to what you want....mileage or a tire that's gonna stick.
Either way......you can't go wrong with Toyo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Local tire guy is big on Toyo performance tires and he is trying to sell me a set for my 2013 Mustang GT. I have little knowledge of Toyo performance tires anyone own them who could comment on them? Are they any good? The tires in question are the Toyo Proxis T1 Sport.

I had them on my M5. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport blows them out of the water.

I use Toyo Proxes T1R in the summer and am pleased. There are not many high po choices in my size.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I had them on my M5. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport blows them out of the water.

I have nothing bad to say about TWO sets of Toyos on my car.

BUT my experience is like Overkill's, my Michelins simply are in a different league...

The Michelins are better then the Toyos at leased one that is in the same performance category (or should I say that's what I hear from several forums on line) but for the price I can get locally on the Toyo Proxes T1 Sports $798.00 mounted inc tax for four 255/40/19 it's hard to beat. I don't think I can get even close to that with a Michelin high performance tire. I think the Toyo T1 Sport is hard to beat for the price.

The Michelins are better then the Toyos at leased one that is in the same performance category (or should I say that's what I hear from several forums on line) but for the price I can get locally on the Toyo Proxes T1 Sports $798.00 mounted inc tax for four 255/40/19 it's hard to beat. I don't think I can get even close to that with a Michelin high performance tire. I think the Toyo T1 Sport is hard to beat for the price.

The Super Sport is actually quite well priced, which surprised the socks off me when I bought them. And there's no comparison. I could light the T1 Sports up at 60Mph on a downshift to pass. That's not really what you want happening. The PSS's stick like epoxy and their rain performance is incredible!

Their VERY sticky, 'semi-R' compound, RA-1s and R888s are good combo street/track/autocross donuts (IF one can only have ONE set of summer wheels/tires), but will wear quickly, and are overkill for 'normal' street use.

I too would just try to save up a little more, and spring for the Pilot Super Sports.
wink.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The Super Sport is actually quite well priced, which surprised the socks off me when I bought them. And there's no comparison. I could light the T1 Sports up at 60Mph on a downshift to pass. That's not really what you want happening. The PSS's stick like epoxy and their rain performance is incredible!

Completely agreed. Both our cars tear up tires fast, too, and it is amazing that these can perform at such a level and yet be warranted for 30k miles!

These are nothing like the ones I used to buy for Vettes I tracked. They were gone in 6k miles, maybe 8 if you were nice. And those cars only weighed a bit over 3k pounds...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Toyo Proxes are good performance tires, just didn't lasted long on my S2000.

Two sets of Plus 4's on mine, never got past 20k miles on my car. It's a bit of a monster on tires, but the Toyos were good tires.

It is important to note that the Toyos also "faded" bad at the long end of their tread life. ALL performance metrics dropped drastically as they wore down...

Great feedback here and I thank you all. I think I am going to try and save up for the Michelins after all I have several months before the car comes out of winter hibernation anyway. And heck if I can't afford to go with the Mich PSS by spring then I will prob get the Toyos after all it's better to have slightly sub parr sneakers then totally worn out sneakers.

If they make your size, check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A. They'll be slightly grippier than the Michelin, have excellent wet performance, only sacrificing a bit of comfort, and will be much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back