My New Grease Gun and Coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is a Milwaukee M12 gun with a LockNLube coupler. For the last twenty five years I have used a pneumatic gun. I grease outside in the yard where our work trucks are parked and I have to move the trucks over to where the air hose is. I don`t have to do that with this cordless gun. The gun came with a 3 foot hose and I extended it by another 2 feet for a total length of five feet. The extra length is useful when greasing driveshaft u-joints while lying under the truck because I can leave the gun in a cardboard box on the ground and just squeeze the trigger without having to hold the gun up in the air.

The LockNLube coupler works well and frees up one hand for other duties like holding a flashlight or feeling a rubber boot for grease flowing in.

I have used this setup for three weeks now and am pretty happy with how it works. A bit expensive at $200 Cdn for the gun and $30 + $10 shipping for the LockNLube coupler but it saves me some hassle and I grease frequently enough to justify the expense.

Last edited:
Interesting. As a DIYer, I've not had need for anything but a manual gun. Are the joints must larger/resistive, or what's the reason why pneumatic or electric is desired?

I'm guessing the trucks take a massive amount of grease and frequently compared to a personal fleet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting. As a DIYer, I've not had need for anything but a manual gun. Are the joints must larger/resistive, or what's the reason why pneumatic or electric is desired?

If I hit every fitting front to back on my tractor with backhoe I can easily use up a tube + of grease. Hard on the developing carpal tunnel syndrome. If I couldn't pull the tractor up to the hose easily I would buy this rig in a second. I will be ordering that coupler ASAP.

I started off with a pistol grip gun and it simply did not develop enough pressure for fittings offering resistance, like kingpin fittings. I tried a lever gun and access to fittings became an issue since you have to use a rigid extension because you do not have a spare hand to hold a flexible hose in place on the grease fitting. Hence the pneumatic gun.

The average truck takes half a tube of grease and we have one truck that takes three quarters of a tube.

I buy grease in 20l pails and bulk load the grease gun. The grease gun has a bulk loader fitting installed and I have a loader pump installed on the pail and pump grease in to the gun through the loader fitting. This way no air pockets gets introduced inside the grease gun and that happens when tube of grease is loaded. You don't end up squeezing the trigger like a mad man with no grease coming out. I don't end up second guessing myself - "I know I squeezed the trigger five times but did grease actually flow in or is the gun air-locked?"

The LockNLube coupler is an amazing leap when it comes to grease-gun technology. Once you use one you will never want to use a grease-gun without it.

http://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-G...words=locknlube

Couple of things to note about the coupler- it is bulkier than an ordinary coupler and I cannot grease u-joints on driveshafts with it. I made up an extension using a 1/8 in pipe nipple with a grease nipple on one end and an ordinary grease coupler on the other end and I attach this extension on to the LockNLube to grease drive shafts. You will not save any time using the LockNLube over an ordinary coupler. I use it because it frees up one hand.

Just noticed you are Canadian. Here is where I bought it
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lock-N-Lube-greas...=item338a895c47

Originally Posted By: George7941
http://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-G...words=locknlube

Couple of things to note about the coupler- it is bulkier than an ordinary coupler and I cannot grease u-joints on driveshafts with it. I made up an extension using a 1/8 in pipe nipple with a grease nipple on one end and an ordinary grease coupler on the other end and I attach this extension on to the LockNLube to grease drive shafts. You will not save any time using the LockNLube over an ordinary coupler. I use it because it frees up one hand.

Just noticed you are Canadian. Here is where I bought it
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lock-N-Lube-greas...=item338a895c47
Ok cool, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back