Valvoline 5W-30 MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGK

Having just switched from Mobil 1 (used Mobil 1 for almost 15 years) to Valvoline Synpower, I noticed on the Valvoline website there is a 5W-30 synthetic oil called 5W-30 MST, designed for European and diesel cars. From their description, it sounds like it is superior to their conventional 5W-30 Synpower.

My questions are:
1. What makes the 5W-30 MST superior to their conventional 5W-30 Synpower oil?
2. What does MST stand for?
3. Valvoline tells me that their 5W-30 MST oil is ONLY sold in 55 gallon drums. Why in the world would they want to sell an oil for automobiles to dealer service departments and garages only?

They have a Synpower 5w-40 that's normally marketed for European car's. The MST meets some newer specs that the 5w-40 does not. The MST is primarily sold in Europe. I was told told by Valvoline tech that Maxlife Synthetic 5w-30 is the same oil with seal conditioners added. They use to list all the specs on the back of the Maxlife, but then later removed them.

Synpower MST 5W-30

MST stands for Mid SAPs Technology. SAPs is sulfated ash, Phos, sulfur.
The product is primarily designed to meet European ACEA and OEM specifications for gasoline/diesel vehicles that have particulate filters. It is an API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3 product with OEM approvals for MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 and VW 502/505/505.01. It is not ILSAC GF-4 approved primarily because of the highly shear stable VM and high HTHS requirements. This does not make it able to pass the Seq VIB fuel economy test.
It is available in bulk only because there is not a big market for a European Synthetic 5W-30 except at Euro car dealers. If you want something with the same chemistry, the Synpower 5W-40 (Synpower MST 5W-40) is available in quarts.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is not ILSAC GF-4 approved primarily because of the highly shear stable VM and high HTHS requirements. This does not make it able to pass the Seq VIB fuel economy test.

Originally Posted By: Valvman
If you want something with the same chemistry, the Synpower 5W-40 (Synpower MST 5W-40) is available in quarts.

Yup. Synpower MST 5w-40 meets all the same mfg specs and is available at Walmart, NAPA, and some other retail stores.

Why waste brain sells on the "puzzle"? Mobil 1 0W40, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40 and GC are available from auto parts stores, and sometimes even through Walmart stores. I haven't heard anything about Synpower that would make me want to get out of my way to choose it over M1 or others mentioned. Personally I have never seen Synpower MST in B&M stores.

Last edited:
MST 5w30 is sold in quarts! Nobody carries it, but they do in fact sell MST 5w30 by the quart.

From an email from Valvoline last summer (only part of it, since the rest of my query was about Maxlife)

Valvoline Synpower MST 5W30 part number quart container size is 787301

A Nissan dealership where I had my Nissan serviced used 5W-30 MST Synpower, however, I moved back to the area where I bought my 2000 Nissan new, and they use Mobil 1.

I would use 5W-30 MST with full confidence, in my opinion.

At least you don't have to pay GM a percentage of your oil change!

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z

At least you don't have to pay GM a percentage of your oil change!

Castrol doesn't charge the fee either
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
They have a Synpower 5w-40 that's normally marketed for European car's. The MST meets some newer specs that the 5w-40 does not. The MST is primarily sold in Europe. I was told told by Valvoline tech that Maxlife Synthetic 5w-30 is the same oil with seal conditioners added. They use to list all the specs on the back of the Maxlife, but then later removed them.

Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 is definitely NOT the same oil as Synpower 5W-30 MST. Ash content alone shows that.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_full_synthetic.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

That "Valvoline" tech should shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back