Low Oil Pressure at Cold Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

Never tried snake oil

You said you just bought a gallon of it. LOL. Anyway i wouldn't rely on whiz bang in a can to correct or prevent some issue in the oil pump pressure valve.

GM is not shy of additives if they think it will work and save them money. They recommended Techron, Lubegurd Red, cooling system tabs, TEC and EOS at times for a some issues.
If they thought they could get away with an oil additive they would have tried it too IMO.

Since the car is LS based. Make sure that is really what you have pressure. Worth the money to have someone check that. Their oil pressure sending units are not the best in the world. If it is the oil pump it will be difficult as the car is front wheel drive and not a first time do it yourself type of deal.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Anyway i wouldn't rely on whiz bang in a can to correct or prevent some issue in the oil pump pressure valve.

I literally just LOL'd!
grin.gif

I've read the same on the oil pressure sensor. For what I would pay for a a shop to test it for me, I can replace the sensor. New sensor is on order.

Originally Posted By: thumper75
I've read the same on the oil pressure sensor.

Not sure I understand. With a mechanical gage? The electric one is less than accurate.

Sorry for the confusion. I had read the same about some issues with the electric oil pressure sensor going bad. For the price, it made just as much sense for me to replace the sensor as it did to take it to a shop and have them test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Since the car is LS based. Make sure that is really what you have pressure. Worth the money to have someone check that. Their oil pressure sending units are not the best in the world. If it is the oil pump it will be difficult as the car is front wheel drive and not a first time do it yourself type of deal.

The GXPs got the same 5.3s as the Impy/Monte SSes??

Originally Posted By: thumper75
Not yet. Scheduled to be arriving on Thursday.

Let me know how you make out. I have messed with the oil pump on RWD LS motors, but not any LS4 cars...Not a lot of room in there.

I have messed with the oil pump on RWD LS motors

As in; replaced the whole thing, or changed out the pressure relief spring for some other pound setting??

The Oil Pressure Sensor was not the problem as the issue still exists after replacing it. I know there are mixed feelings on using Seafoam on here, but I'm going to give it a shot. The car will be gone in about 6 months anyway so I'd rather having to drop a bunch of money in getting the oil pan dropped and replace the oil pump as I don't have the means to do that project on my own. If the Seafoam will buy me the time until the car goes away, I'll take it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I have messed with the oil pump on RWD LS motors

As in; replaced the whole thing, or changed out the pressure relief spring for some other pound setting??

Replaced the whole thing.

Op that sucks. Might as well try the Seafoam. The pumps are cheap but it is tight to get it out the LS4.

I thought i would post what the issue turned out to be in the event anyone else every experiences anything odd like this. It turned out the O ring on the oil sump was bad (brittle and breaking apart) so it was sucking air at idle. One $0.40 part and a lot of labor later the issue is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back