4Ply or 10Ply Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I agree-it is unnecessary, but how much unsprung weight are we talking-for example, going from a Geolandar 10 ply to a P-metric in a 245/75R16 is 14 pounds a tire, 56 pounds total? If the OP was looking to buy them & didn't have them already, it would be a different story. I haven't been to Detroit in a while, but if the roads up there are anything like they are in the City of Cincinnati (I-75 is a construction moonscape, 3/4 of the city streets are beat senseless at the START of winter), I would live with the 10 plys.

I drive a 6,200lb SUV (probably weighs more than the OP's truck) with P-Metric LTX's on it and we've never had a blow out or even a puncture on this thing. It routinely goes down back roads, hunting trails, has been through a pile of farmers fields and the roads here aren't anything to write home about either, particularly in rural areas.

The manufacturer spec'd a P-Metric tire. A quality P-Metric is all the truck needs. I'd be more concerned with choosing a quality tire than the number of plies it has IMHO.

The truck only required P-metric tires, so that's what I would run. No need to over think this one, or spend more money for a tire that isn't necessary on this truck.

Quote:
number of plys does not even mean anything in modern radials and is just a throwbacm to when trucm tires were bias ply consrruction?
Older than that. I'm old enough to remember when passenger car tires were switched from actual 4 plies to 2 plies, not long after nylon replaced rayon as the tire cord. You'd have thought the world was coming to an end...and everything worked out well. This was before radial tires and even before belted bias tires.

Look at the fine print on the sidewall of your tire. All you guys talking about 10 ply tires on your truck. Bend over and look. Let us know what you see. You'll see 3 plies in the sidewalls. Lighter duty tires will have 2 ply sidewalls. Some passenger car tires will have one ply. LT steel cord tires are one ply. Desert racing tires might come in 4 ply, but they're way too stiff for everyday use.

When I'm in a tire store and the kid starts to point out "10 ply tires," my response is, "10 ply; show me." Of course he can't, because there is no such thing. Then he starts to say something about "10 ply rated." I say, "who rated them? What are the rating standards?" Now he's stuck for an answer and waiting for me to leave.

Had an identical choice ti make last year. Liked the AT3 better than ATP and offers better miles per dollar than the hankook. Really cant go wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back