What oil to use for an Aristo 2JZ-GTE VVT-i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did an Aristo 2JZ-GTE VVT-i engine swap in my IS300. I have been trying to search for some sort of Toyota owners manual to see what the recommended oil for an Aristo but I can't seem to find much.

A little info about the engine fore those who don't know. The engine is from a 1999-2005 Japanese Toyota Aristo, which is similar to the twin turbo Supra engine, but utilizes variable valve timing. I know the Supra specifies API SH 10W-30, but that is for a non-VVT-i engine. The non-turbo version which came in the IS300 (2JZ-GE with VVT-i) is a similar engine and calls for API SL ILSAC 5W-30.

1. What kind of vehicle you have2004 Lexus IS300 with a 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Aristo swapped engine
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well Any info on this would be awesome.
3. Where you live Central Florida
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) All four
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) Short trips and highway
6. Whether your car has any known problems None.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Toyota did a good job with the oil system on the 2JZ-x engines. The 2Jz-GTE uses a turbocharger water jacket (two of them, actually) as well as a engine oil cooler at the filter. For a turbocharged engine, they are pretty easy on oil and not known for sludge (although to be fair I have seen sludge in these engines from time to time). Really any API-approved oil will be fine. I agree with CATERHAM, SL rated Defy or M1 would be an excellent choice.

I think a heavy 30w would be great for this or a light 40w.

So with that in mind Redline 5w30 sounds great for this app, or M1 0w40 that you can buy right off the shelf at most stores.

If your car is going to stay bone stock and no power upgrades or boost being cranked up, I agree with CATERHAM, but if you went through all the work of swapping in a Turbo version of this engine, I think mods are coming. I stand by my choices, modded or not.

Just my ten cents...
19.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Toyota did a good job with the oil system on the 2JZ-x engines. The 2Jz-GTE uses a turbocharger water jacket (two of them, actually) as well as a engine oil cooler at the filter. For a turbocharged engine, they are pretty easy on oil and not known for sludge (although to be fair I have seen sludge in these engines from time to time). Really any API-approved oil will be fine.

If this is true, consider my suggestion changed to plain-Jane Mobil 1 5w-30. :]

Sorry, I should have stated that the twins have been replaced with a single turbo (no water cooling) pushing only 10 psi
smile.gif

Since its a fresh swap, I just used M1 10W-30 to get it fired up. Looks like I may switch to M1 5w-30. Also using a factory Toyota filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Ah, okay.

Back to an ACEA A3 xw-30 for me!

Any suggestions on ACEA A3 oils? Would GC be too thin for this engine/my location?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: afree
Any suggestions on ACEA A3 oils? Would GC be too thin for this engine/my location?

GC was one of the oils I had in mind. :]

When you're thinking about "thick" or "thin," what you really want to look at is HTHS viscosity, which isn't part of the viscosity grade. ACEA A3 means it has to be at least 3.5, which is higher than almost all xw-30s you'll find on the shelf. Anything labeled A1 or A5 has to be LESS than 3.5.

Also, keep in mind that the second number (30) matters a lot more than the first one (0w, 5w, etc.). The W number is just a cold pumpability number and doesn't say much about "thick" vs. "thin," except at the coldest temps.

Mobil's German website suggests Newlife 0w40 or Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5w30 for all Japanese model Aristo's.

I'd go with the M1 0w40.

Our plain-breathing 2JZ really liked M1 5w-30 HM (what Caterham mentioned above). Toyota chart says to use 5w-30 or 5w-20 in the last us year Supras.

Totota Oil Chart

Interesting swap. I have always wanted to drive a twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE with the VVT-i, having been impressed with what it did to the 1MZ-FE I have driven in both versions. Did any ever get imported here, or are these all engine imports only? Supra turbo is very much a possible buy for me in a few years, a VVT-i one would be a dream.

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart. Yea I have seen quite a few shipped over here (none in person, just being sold on Craigslist). I guess its easier than say, a Skyline since you could probably register it as a GS300/400. I have even seen a few of the 1998+ Supras with the VVT-i. Its a great engine. If only we had them in our cars over here already.

Originally Posted By: afree
Is 0w-30 too low/damaging for Florida cold starts?

I answered this question earlier.

Any 5w-30-whatever full syn that is on sale.

If you want to be OCD, I think more important to monitor the OCI and change early versus your particular choice of oil brands within the grade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back