Old man's new Toyota Hilux

Status
Not open for further replies.
His new little truck got delivered today so I had to take it for a spin and I was pretty impressed, wouldn't mind one myself!
He went for the 3.0 turbo diesel engine with a 5 speed manual. We were tossing up between this engine and the 2.7 I4 and 4.0 V6 petrols used in the N. American Tacoma and 4Runner but settled on the diesel because of the better fuel economy.
He had one a few years ago back in the UK and that never gave him grief in the 8 years he had it. They only came with a smaller 2.4 diesel there so he likes the engines in the ones over here with much more poke

Won't be doing any short shifts!

They come with A/C as standard and this has the optional multimedia player with bluetooth and iPod connection. It was quite pleasant to drive, the diesel had plenty of torque even at low revs, it felt a bit rough at higher revs but that's the character of these engines and they seem to be pretty reliable.
If I was to get one it would be in the same spec but with the style side rear instead of the alloy tray and I'd probably go with the bullet proof 2.7 plus manual
smile.gif

Goes in for it's first service at 1,000km at the dealer and then again at every 10,000km/6 months thereafter for 3 years. I will have to find out what the drop in the sump!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Sweet ride! I want one of these in the worst way.

Hmmm, the worst way I know of is standing up in a hammock.
laugh.gif

Except for the fact that you've got everything backwards! :) I really like the looks of the truck!

What I'd like to know more about though is the bed. It looks like it opens up to shallow storage, at least on the side, or does that go all the way across?

What's the primary use for a bed like that? What will your father use it for?

Wish we could sneak those into the USA, I could learn to shift left-handed! They call those beds "Western Haulers" here, although I imagine there's no gooseneck ball in it.

That air filter system is the bee's knees! Also like the unapologetic steel rims.

Good looking truck. I saw a Hilux commercial on youtube a few days ago. It transitioned from an older model with an 8 track tape to the new models jumping over dunes. Pretty cool trucks. I am slowly becoming a Toyota fan.

Granted I have never been to Australia, but from the photos I have seen, that bed style seems to be very popular. Everything from DD usage to offroading through the middle of nowhere. Seems to be on the "nicer" models with the alloy wheels as well as base models.

As mentioned, here in the US that bed would be used for gooseneck trailers. My neighbor had a side less version this on his F350 when he hauled his horse trailer.

A very nice utility oriented truck.
Not a girl getter or fancy pants half ton that's so common around here.
I love the look of that big, meaty shifter.

Would like to see an engine like that offered in the US as a grocery getter tundra for mpg. Why arent they?

Maximum power kW 126

- Rpm for maximum power 3600

- Maximum torque Nm 360

- Rpm for maximum torque 1400

per website...how much hp and tq in SAE?

I have a stripped down 03 tundra. No frills reliable pickup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Would like to see an engine like that offered in the US as a grocery getter tundra for mpg. Why arent they?

Maximum power kW 126

- Rpm for maximum power 3600

- Maximum torque Nm 360

- Rpm for maximum torque 1400

per website...how much hp and tq in SAE?

I have a stripped down 03 tundra. No frills reliable pickup.

I can think of a lot of diesel engines I would like to see in the United States.

For one, when I was in Europe, I rode in a DIESEL Ford Taurus. Very sharp, loaded, leather etc.. sounded like a tractor and was fairly quick. The reverse was in the upper left corner too IIRC.

Nice truck! I wish we could get something like that here.
The closest we get are Diesel JDM imports that are very popular with building contractors.

Many owners have a receptacle for a Goose neck hitch fitted flush in the truck bed, makes a whole lot of sense.

What kind of mileage does he expect to get from that truck?

It can be turned into a flat bed by removing the side doors on the tray but it's purpose is to be used for his side job as a handy man in between work (works 4 days on, 4 days off on the council). It will be used for carrying tools and transporting materials and furniture and maybe a small trailer here and there.
Definitely no gooseneck or heavy hauling with this little 4 pot haha that's why we decided to go for economy over the more powerful 4.0 v6 if we were going to be pulling stuff.
With his last Hilux he only managed to put 94,000 miles on it in 8 years of daily driving, but that was in the UK where it is hard to reach high mileages because of how close, compact and full of traffic everywhere is! Over here on the other hand it is quite the opposite where an hour or two of highway driving is considered 'down the road' and it's easy to stack up massive mileage in little time. I reckon he would want at least 4-500,000KM out of it if he doesn't trade it in down the line

Also good to see the 3.0 is finally available over there :p the 2.4 wasn't very strong although it was completely bullet proof!

It's interesting that Americans find these interesting, and Aussies find American full sized pick ups attractive pieces. Since Ford stopped selling the F250 here a few years ago there is a massive trend starting where people are buying new imported, RHD converted Silverados, GMC Sierras, Toyota Tundras, Rams, Ford F-series and even Nissan Titans. I see plenty of these driving round my area and they aren't cheap after the conversions!

I didn't realise the HiLux wasn't available in the US, I thought they sold them everywhere! He chose well getting the diesel, the 2.7 is gutless, and the 4.0 is thirsty, although they go like stink! He'll get a long life out of that ute if he keeps the maintenance up.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
(works 4 days on, 4 days off on the council)

I know what it is, but it would help, if explain the US audience what 'on the council' means
smile.gif

"Council" is local government, i.e. the authority that looks after rubbish collection, maintains public parks, keeps the drains clear, etc. So, he is employed by the council in some capacity. It's amazing we all speak the same language, but in many ways, we don't!

Originally Posted By: hpb
I didn't realise the HiLux wasn't available in the US, I thought they sold them everywhere! He chose well getting the diesel, the 2.7 is gutless, and the 4.0 is thirsty, although they go like stink! He'll get a long life out of that ute if he keeps the maintenance up.

Nope, no Hilux here. Up until 1995, our small Toyota pickup was the same vehicle, but just called the "Pickup" instead of Hilux.

When the Tacoma came out in 1995, the US models began to diverge from what the rest of the world had. The Tacoma is similar with some interchangeable parts, but isn't a simple rebadge or case of badge-engineering. They are separate vehicles on different frames. The current Hilux is on the Prado platform, the Tacoma is on the 4Runner platform that was introduced in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back