Freezing rain - My first accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, let me start off that I am extremely blessed to be alive and well right now. I was driving into work this morning, left extra early and was going pretty slow because freezing rain had started just a little while earlier. Well I'm doing 30 mph on the freeway, and come up on a curve... road right there was a total sheet of ice. I lost control and I immediately knew I was going off the road.... I came to a stop almost hanging over a 7 to 8 foot drop off into the river. I was only 1 foot from going over and rolling the truck. The trees and brush saved me and the S-10. While I waited for the tow truck, cars were sliding and crashing around me... I could see it and hear it. At one point an ambulance lost control and was sliding right for me... then he corrected and almost went off the other side of the road. There were multiple car accidents all over, and ambulances and fire trucks everywhere.

I came out fine, the S-10 came out pretty good, the plastic piece under the front bumper cracked, but other than that, the truck looks great.

God was watching over me, and kept me from any harm.

It's hard to see, but the red line in the first picture is the drop off into the river.
1122140759_zpsfe8ff15e.jpg

1122140759-00_zps0f6ae60b.jpg

And they pulled it out!
1122140809-00_zps3e06cdbd.jpg

Glad you're OK. What tires do you have on?

I was driving around GR this morning. It was somewhat slick but not as bad as what you described. Or maybe the wife's truck just has better tires. Although, if it's a sheet of ice, most tires are useless, unless studded or chained.

I admire your faith, too bad the road was icy in the first place.

But really, in a situation like tha, you are just along for the ride. Best you can do is resist using the brake and try to steer for open road.

Yes indeed, God is good! So glad to hear all is well. This Thanksgiving, you'll have something extra special to be thankful for
smile.gif

P.S. - this might be His way of telling you to move to Florida
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you're not injured.

That vehicle is screaming for Nokian Hakkapeliittas and four sandbags over the axle.

I'm surprised to see that area didn't have a barrier between the road and the sudden drop.

You are very lucky indeed. x2 on God is good!

Agree on needed extra weight on/over the rear axle. In my experience first vehicles I see spinning out on icy roads and overpasses here are smaller/compact trucks. Own a 2wd Tacoma and I'm very leery of venturing out with it in icy conditions.

Glad you are ok.

Been there done that! Had a GMC S15 for many years.. had to put alot of weight to keep the rear end in check and if to much the front end would get squirrelly. One year I got a FWD car to drive because of it. Glad it didn't turn out much worse.

With freezing rain there is little you can do to have effective control of ANY vehicle. I'm glad you are alright, and some are going to get angry at me but 30 mph was too fast for conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back