New Ford F150 - Plastic Oil Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see an issue here. Ford has used them for a few years on the diesel in the Superduty, and commercial trucks have also been using them for a few years.

I was a skeptic several years ago, but plastics have evolved too. I was leery of the plastic chute on my Toro snowblower that I bought 8 years ago, but holds up fine and no rust or corrosion to worry about. I've also never had a dent in the oil pan of any vehicle I've owned, so I'm not worried here either.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think at the assembly line they run the fore-and-aft brake and fuel/return/evap lines as one "octopus" and it saves time for fuel to be steel.

On a lot of the models, if you want to order the fuel line from the pump to the engine it will come as a bundle assembly with brake lines and evap lines in the complete assembly. Your choice to install the other lines, but you get everything.

Sounds like a good way to save weight and reduce corrosion issues. Couple of ways to fit the drain plug so as long as they thought it through no reason it should be an issue.

Plastic is lighter, doesn't rust and squeaks less. Ideal for wheelhouses and the like, too.

GM is quite proud of the "structural" aluminum oil pans on its LS series engines.
Perhaps they'll be fitted with pans of a different material during subsequent generations.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have no issue with the use of proper plastics.

However, anybody with plastic radiators here in South Florida knows they last 10 years and not one minute more (just a joke) they do seem to have a finite life span, however.

Amen. Many vehicles that have composite components on their cooling system parts (inlet housings, thermostat housing, plastic radiator tanks) have notorious issues with failure on these parts. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have no issue with the use of proper plastics.

However, anybody with plastic radiators here in South Florida knows they last 10 years and not one minute more (just a joke) they do seem to have a finite life span, however.

Amen. Many vehicles that have composite components on their cooling system parts (inlet housings, thermostat housing, plastic radiator tanks) have notorious issues with failure on these parts. Time will tell I guess.

Cooling system plastics are under pressure, however, so the point where they weaken to failure will come sooner than other plastic parts.

Plastic does fine if it is engineered right. Plenty of 20+ year old Mercedes plastic radiators in service.

Many engines have plastic valve covers that last.

The problem with plastic is that you have to use the right type for the right situation. Many cooling systems have plastic parts, yet it seems if you have a German car, you usually end up replacing coolant flanges and water outlets, but almost never have to do that with the radiator. Japanese cars, plus Hyundai and Kia do the exact opposite. American cars tend to need plastic coolant flanges and water outlets, but the radiators are better than the ones in Japanese cars. I don't know how well cars from Sweden work.

I'd prefer to have a cast aluminum oil pan, but I wouldn't mind having a plastic oil pan that was well designed.

I have one worry with plastic oil pans. How long will it be before quick lubes start stripping the threads out of the plastic pans? It seems like it would be easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back