Best oil filter for GM 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC Delco is fine, but make sure to get the non-ecore design. Get the classic PF series only if you are going to stick to AC Delco, but honestly you can get a much better filter than the AC Delco.

I was thinking about Wix vs Fram TG but when I asked Six for information they blew me off & told me it was best to follow my OLM which I do but it seems to me Wix is very tight lipped. I got info from From & Purolator with ease just wondering if P1 fits the 8,000 OCI when the website states to change every 3k-5k so seems like they need to update. I also see From recommended the TG for premium conventional or synthetic blend oil so kind of makes me lean toward the Fram Ultra. If Wix works for the OCI I get a good military discount from both NAPA & O'Reillys so I would pick up from them.

The non ecore design is going the way of the dinosaur according to many on a truck board I frequent. They are getting harder and harder to find. It appears there is some hording going on with the non ecores that are left.

Many are revisiting (as is the op) on what filter to use with this current change to ecore construction.

I have a Silverado 5.3 myself, and will probably be going with the Fram Ultra and using it for two drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: OSUFan86
That's what I was thinking with the Wix XP. I would change the oil take filter off & empty it. I would inspect it then reapply the filter. Is this filter readily available or would NAPA Platinum suffice?

Extremely bad idea.

Why is that I mean wouldn't you want to know if there are issues before you just refill your engine with oil. If there is a specific reason then enlighten me, I am always open to good knowledge, I would be refilling with new oil anyways so what is the issue.

Originally Posted By: OSUFan86
Why is that I mean wouldn't you want to know if there are issues before you just refill your engine with oil. If there is a specific reason then enlighten me, I am always open to good knowledge, I would be refilling with new oil anyways so what is the issue.

Disturbing the base gasket. Safer to leave the filter on without touching it. Use a filter you know is reliable and can take the mileage.

Thanks for the information I thought of that & got the Fram Ultra & I got PP on sale at Walmart for 22.00 for 5 at jug so that worked out nice. I will try your advice which I know will work & I will change it @ 7500 for 2 OCIs so as to get the most out of the filter. My OLM always goes off at 8,000 so an early change won't hurt. Thanks for all the advice. Has anybody used the PU & could that go for 15,000, I seem to hope that going to a extended drain oil would be more economical instead of paying more for something that I get less mileage out of. Anybody have any thoughts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
A well sealed air filter and intake plumbing will have a more dramatic effect on engine life that any of the quality oil filter difference.
GOt an "Air Hog" on closeout a while back and it was warped enough out of the package that it wouldn't seal in the airbox. This is something to pay attention to.

Would going to GTX Synblend or PG be better for my OCI or just plain old conventional?

We raise and kill these engines a lot in our fleet.

But they are hard to kill. And none of them (4.8,5.3,6.0/6.2) are hard on oil.

Our plan that runs them to excess of 300k miles easily? Buy the cheapest syn on sale and follow the OLM.

If you are a 'short changer' and like short intervals use that dino, it's plenty good for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back