Don't think I'll Ever See It All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an occasional cutomer come in yesterday (July 12) for oil change and other services. Pulled vehicle on rack personally, noticed Walmart sticker mileage was 5k past due. When up in air changed filter first. Was Fram so probably had 8k miles. As normal glanced at base of removed filter, gasket in place,,no problem. Started to install new Champ filter (I like them, and if customer changes at recommended interval I don't expect to ever have any problems) noticed it started feeling tight way too soon and continued to tighten long after it should have bottomed out. Been screwing 'em on every day for over 30 years so I think my "feel" is sufficiently knowlegable. So before it felt properly tight I removed it and looked----THERE WAS A GASKET STUCK TO FILTER MOUNT BASE!!!! Old filter still had gasket, new filter still had gasket, obviously this vehicle ('99 Explorer, 5.0) had run for over 8 thousand miles with double gaskets!!

No pics didn't even bother telling customer. But I did lecture 2 employees that they had better pay attention to their own aquired "feel" in this occupation.

Bob

Maybe the filter was on soooo tight that it didn't leak.
dunno.gif

I had a double gasket happen to me and I had to clean up a BIG mess in my garage.
frown.gif

I wonder how much make-up oil that guy added to his vehicle?

Probably none, since it sounds like he doesn't really give a rat's A$$ about his car anyhow.
frown.gif

And to think people give Walmart oil change guys a hard time...
tongue.gif

Why they can double gasket a car with no leaks..lol

Wow...that guy is lucky.

The one and only time I double gasketed a filter was on a 5.4L Expedition...I knew right away what had happened and had quite a mess to clean up.

lol.. I hate anyone touching my cars but me. This is a perfect justification for this OCD traight of mine.

Anytime I go to a garage/dealer and they drive my car into the garage, I get this sinking feeling in my stomach and I feel ill, all the meanwhile sticking my head thru little windows trying to monitor what's going on
grin.gif

No way any employee, certified mechanic or not, cares about my car like I do!

quote:

Originally posted by webfors:
Anytime I go to a garage/dealer and they drive my car into the garage, I get this sinking feeling in my stomach and I feel ill, all the meanwhile sticking my head thru little windows trying to monitor what's going on
grin.gif

Heh...me, too...but now that I've found not one but TWO shops I trust, that sinking feeling goes away a lot quicker!

quote:

Originally posted by alreadygone:
Didn't notice filter being unusually tight. Entire area around filter was DRY, no leaks.

Bob

Just ponderizin' on this here incident... seems likely that if the double gaskets were installed DRY that it just might not ever leak... Ain't gonna try it just to see though
grin.gif

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back