2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, QSUD 5w30, 4594 mi on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since Blackstone cut off the last bit of the oil description, this was QSUD 5w30 that was tested. I was quite impressed actually, even though my oil smelled like it had some gas in it, it still maintained TBN nicely. I had to use 1/2 qt. of PP (non-Pure Plus) 5w20 and 1/4 qt. of QSUD 5w30 for make-up over the amount of mileage. The 1/4 quart was added about 500 miles before the end of the OCI. Still thinking about giving PYB a try down the road, but I think I'll stick with this for at least one more OCI, given my sump already has a fresh change of QSUD 5w30.
smile.gif

Great UOA and good to see how nice a broken-in GDi engine performs. Thanks for sharing.

i like quaker state ultimate durability because its a good oil and it's usually borderline in price. I don't think it cleans as good as some others because when i was using motorcraft before the price hit the ceiling in my moms mercury grand marquis the inside was looking brand new when i switched to qsud it still looks new but you can tell its not as clean.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Great UOA and good to see how nice a broken-in GDi engine performs. Thanks for sharing.

Anytime wemay!
smile.gif
Of course, I have the old sewing-machine noise even on 5w30, but the engine certainly doesn't seem worse for wear, thankfully...

Haaa! Yes Killswitch83,

I would be disappointed if my 2.4 were any quieter now, since the sound(s) has grown on me. Or should I say, the clatter.
grin.gif

Last edited:
The makeup oil probably resulted in the TBN #. Id run another OCI of the same distance and use same 5w30 for top up. If the viscosity is low again I would change oils. Not to say the low vis was that bad but you can perfect the results.

I have a GLS of the same vintage. Nice report. The make up oil you added is likely because your oil pan is leaking. I ended having mine replaced under warranty after a failed attempt at resealing it. Now my car doesn't require any top offs.

From your report, it looks like we can safely go 6000 miles OCIs. Thanks for posting.

Glad to be of help maximus! You know, I actively looked for that very leak when I was changing the oil, and the oil pan looked dry all around, didn't see any seeping at all. Then again, I didn't take the underbody shield off, just used a large Mag-light and looked through the cut-out all the way to the front as far as I could. Also of note: the crush washer is holding up nicely, but I still bought a pack of 10 off Amazon this past weekend just in case I needed them, not too bad for 10 bucks or so including shipping.

Turn your wheels all the way to the left and try to look at back of the block where the pan bolts up. Shine a flashlight in there. I discovered my leak when I had the right wheel off during a brake job. The suspect area is pretty much impossible to see without removing the skid plate or looking through the wheel well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
Turn your wheels all the way to the left and try to look at back of the block where the pan bolts up. Shine a flashlight in there. I discovered my leak when I had the right wheel off during a brake job. The suspect area is pretty much impossible to see without removing the skid plate or looking through the wheel well.

I took a look at that tonight, through both the driver and passenger's side wheel well, the oil pan is nice and dry, and no sign of leaking (no old signs of leaking either). Think I'll temporarily chalk it up to consumption until I find any evidence of said leak. Thanks for the head's up on the leaking points Maximus
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back