"Discount" AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what the opinion is on some of these AR/M4 platforms that are selling for $500-800 at various brick and mortar chains? I always hear people talking about their latest AR builds and how they did it so cheap, but even the best deal shoppers don't seem to get a nice build for these prices.

Are they worth a hoot? The only reason I ask is eventually I'd like to add some type of defensive rifle to the stable (though its not in the budget yet).

You have to give us a brand name to work with. There is a lot of surplus production on the market right now which has driven down prices.

Avoid Olympic Arms...I can say that much. DPMS is a mixed bag. They are serviceable but could use some TLC after you buy them to make them good. People seem to be happy with Palmetto State Armory.

For a little more you can get a genuine Colt these days.

Last edited:
I just got a CORE-15 Scout; pretty much fits the description you mention. It was $630 out the door, brand new. Is it loaded with frills and attachements? Nope. But it is a solid performer that comes from an up-and-coming OEM that now makes it's own barrels, and uses quality forgings or billet receivers, depending upon model.

I also have a DPMS that I recently got. I was considering buying yet another but then came across the CORE for less money.

These type rifles may not be your go-to gun when the SHTF (stuff hits the fan), but they most certainly will perform adequately for plinking and general service. And frankly, the build quality seems good enough that I would be willing to bet the farm on it. I see zero reason why it would fail in terms of reliablility.

I will also note that the CORE-15 brand recently had their top-tier "HARD CORE" rifle reviewed in G&A mag. In that article the author mentioned that he witnessed the factory armorer/gunsmith walk over to a production package-ready rack and choose two examples of the least expensive model at random and then shoot them on a bench rest. Both rifles printed 5-shot groups under 1 MOA! This from their economy rifle offering; the very one I just bought.

While possible to build one for less money, it also takes effort and time. For $630, I got a fully functional AR that has potential for excellent accuracy, and it comes with a life-time transferrable warranty! Even if I wear out the barrel at some point in the future, they are easily replaced. Trigger groups are easily exchanged, should that be a desire. The whole point of these ARs is the modularity of the build.

Buy a cheap one and enjoy it. At some point, if you want to "upgrade" a component, it can be easily and cheaply done. But don't be surprised if the "cheap" gun is much better than you ever imagined.

Last edited:
It's a buyer's market right now. A good idea would be to read up on AR15.com or other ar site. Practically anything you'd want to know about them on there, including reviews. As mentioned, PSA has great stuff priced quite low.

As with some others here, I'm a big fan of Palmetto State Armory (PSA).

With their FN Herstal Chrome-Molly-Vanadium, Cold-Hammer-Forged Mil-Spec barreled upper assemblies and Full Auto profile Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier Groups, it's really easy to build an accurate high quality AR. Watch the PSA daily deals and various holiday sales, like Black Friday, and you can build one for the price range you talked about.

As for building an AR, if you're the least bit mechanically inclined, I think you will be better off for building versus buying because one becomes intimately acquainted with the inner workings of their rifle. Also, one can invest a lot into specialized tools, but it's not really necessary to perform a quality AR build.

Lastly, another thing I like about building is you can buy and build as you go.

Good luck!

I own a ton of AR-15's. A metric ton load. I'm pretty familiar with the platform.

The heart and soul of the AR-15 are the barrel and the bolt carrier group. If you get a good barrel, a good bolt carrier group, and it is assembled correctly, then you have a top notch gun. None of the other stuff really makes a difference. Let me repeat that. The barrel and the bolt carrier group make the gun.

At this time, Palmetto State Armory has the best bang for the buck. If you get one of their premium uppers (not their bargain uppers), it will come with a FN barrel. Their Premium bolt carrier groups are also made by FN. And if you weren't aware, FN makes some top quality components. FN also makes barrels for Spikes Tactical, BCM, and others.

I would take one of their Premium uppers with premium bolt carrier group to war, seriously. It is just as good as my Spikes Tactical carbine, just as good as my BCM carbine, just as good as my Colt carbine.

I've been buying my uppers from Model 1 Sales despite people thing their not quality made. I however have found that none of my M1 uppers didn't perform in anyway when I pulled the trigger.
I'm currently getting ready for my annual Arizona trip and want to buy one more upper to complete one more build.

I say if you got the money and can afford one of the big name companies go for it but personally I don't think their worth it. It's not like ones going to war with it nor are we depend on it due to zombies! Mine are purely for recreation and would rather buy more ammo.

Durango

I think one of the best values is the lower priced S&W models - Sport model, etc.

I have Colt, Higher end S&W, FN, a few PSA's. For bang-for-buck, I think you get the most from a quality PSA gun or an S&W.

Lately you've been able to get Colt 6720's (Lightweight barrel) for $800. That's a hard value to beat, too.

Bushmaster is now part of the Freedom Group. I am less than thrilled what being a part of that club does to the quality of a manufacturer. So in that case I would go S&W. If you want a firearm of the old Bushmaster quality I would look at Windham Weaponry. This is the factory of the OLD Bushmaster that started putting out rifles when Freedom Group closed down the old site and relocated it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Lately you've been able to get Colt 6720's (Lightweight barrel) for $800. That's a hard value to beat, too.

Where, because that's a no brainer, I may buy more than one. I thought 6740's for a grand was a good deal

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Where, because that's a no brainer, I may buy more than one. I thought 6740's for a grand was a good deal

AR/LE6940, I knew that didn't look right...

I agree w/Robenstein - much rather have the S&W vs. Bushmaster (have had one of those in the past,too).

If used doesn't scare you, see if you can find a S&W "Sport" model from before 2012. They had a much higher-end barrel in them. The barrel is stamped "1/8 5R" meaning a 1:8 rifling twist and 5 lands/grooves instead of the conventional 6. Also it is melonited/nitrided. Later build ones have a conventional 6R, 1:7 barrel and the higher-end barrel is now relegated to the two high-end models, the VTAC and Magpul-Spec Mid (I traded mine for that model because I wanted a lightweight version of the barrel). But even w/o that barrel, a new "Sport" is a great value.

They were as cheap as $550 this summer; prices up a bit now. Bud's Gun Shop still has them at $599 delivered to your FFL dealer:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71970

Edit: oops, sorry, that link was to the CA compliant models. The "free states" model is a little higher.

Last edited:
For example, below is an example of a quality PSA rifle build. This is with an FN Cold Hammer Forged premium barrel and FN sourced premium M16 profile Bolt Carrier Group. The upper and lower receivers are blemished. You can spend a little extra if you don't want blemished receivers. I'd imagine this rifle build would meet or exceed the quality and performance level of a store bought rifle of $1500 or more. I have a build with many of the same parts and can attest to the accuracy and dependability.

List:

PSA Blemished Safe/Fire Lower Receiver - $49.99

Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Build Kit - $79.99

PSA Aluminum Flip Up Rear Sight - $59.99

PSA CHF 16'' 5.56mm 1:7 Mid-length A2 Profile - Blemished, w/ BCG & Charging Handle - $429.99

Rifle Shipping/Handling - $34.50

FFL transfer fee ($25) and tools ($65) - $90 approx.

Grand Total - $745

It is an incredible buyers marker right now. Prices will go up again. Build one, buy one...you can't go wrong and will never ever lose money if you buy it now.
I have Colts, Windhams, S&W's, Core 15's, Bushmasters, DPMS, Mossbergs... not a bad one in the bunch really. Dont discount AK's either, My AK's are not as accurate as an AR but will fire cheap ammo while a foot deep in a mud hole...lol... something to be said for that!

Learn what makes a quality AR and the price difference between quality and low quality isn't great. PSA rifles built with premium parts are quite the value. Bravo Company rifles are the one to buy and sleep well at night with the decision. The problem with ARs is you never can own just 1.

But you can shoot only one at a time, unless you hand the second and third and fourth rifles to somebody else.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I think I would stick to just one quality AR-15 and have extra magazines.

Sometimes you need a second. I have two now. My old Sp1 Colt and a DPMS 24 inch stainless barreled "varmint" gun for longer range target and hunting duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back