Castrol 0W-30 Belgium vs Castrol 0W-40 German

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

This is an update of a thread I posted earlier. Because of unexpected kv100 results, Blackstone retested. I also requested they do a kv40 test so we could determine the viscosity index.

Original thread was as follows. Disregard if it still exists.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3516233/Castrol_Edge_Syntec_0W-20,_0W-#Post3516233

Updated results are as follows:

0W-30 Belgium

0W-40 German

Bottle Info

0W-30 Bottle Info

0W-40 Bottle Info

So basically the additive packages are the same,just the viscosity changes.
Interesting.
I wonder if the 0w-20 is the same thing b

Thanks for the data. Good info to know if choosing this brand of oil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So basically the additive packages are the same,just the viscosity changes.
Interesting.
I wonder if the 0w-20 is the same thing b

Thanks for the data. Good info to know if choosing this brand of oil.

Clevy:

I put the 0w-20 in its own thread. I grouped the 0W-30 and 0W-40 because they are A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 oils. Notice the 0W-40 has titanium. The 0W-30 does not.

Scott

I'll take the 0W30 thanks, lower VI, and higher flashpoint do it for me.

(Why I chose edge 5W30 A3/B4 in the most recent sales in Oz rather than the 5W40).

Thanks for posting these (my PM still stands).

So, in summary, to quote bobbydavro from here...

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Save your money. They are the same other than VM treat

What you may see is a small difference as in March 2014 updated formulations were launched with Titanium. (Production is later though)

wink.gif

Yeah, here in the U.S., I'll go with 0W-40. It's only $21.66 at WMart and they don't sell the 0W-30, that costs $39 elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: weasley
So, in summary, to quote bobbydavro from here...

Save your money. They are the same other than VM treat

What you may see is a small difference as in March 2014 updated formulations were launched with Titanium. (Production is later though)

wink.gif

smile.gif
blush.gif

Interesting the 0w40 has the Ti but they don't appear to mention it on the bottle, at least that I noticed. They are pretty proud of the Ti in their other offerings.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Interesting the 0w40 has the Ti but they don't appear to mention it on the bottle, at least that I noticed. They are pretty proud of the Ti in their other offerings.

They have recently changed the bottle to show it -

2014-11-02142938.jpg

Interesting observation based on the numbers above. I graphed the oils here, and the 0w-40 becomes thinner than the 0w-30 @ -5c or 23f, though there's not a significant difference until you get below -25c or -13f, where the 40w is much thinner.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
So we are getting 12.8cst version in this market.

US is getting the same formulation as the rest of the world for 0W-40 A3/B4

As far as I know there are three formulations: 12.8, 13.1 and 13.5.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Interesting observation based on the numbers above. I graphed the oils here, and the 0w-40 becomes thinner than the 0w-30 @ -5c or 23f, though there's not a significant difference until you get below -25c or -13f, where the 40w is much thinner.

Interesting observation, thanks for checking that.

I always thought that a 0w30 oil would be thinner than a 0w40 oil whatever the temperature, since the viscosities are lower at 40 and 100 C.

Castrol gives the same CCS (5800 mPa.s at -35 C).

Could we be sure that the viscosity chart is still correct at -20 C or is it more of a guess?

Different quality oils expand or contract at different rates. They follow an equation if I remember right that is similar to 1/e^(bx) where 'b' is closely related to the inverse of the viscosity index.

Castrol sometimes only shows min or max values...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Could we be sure that the viscosity chart is still correct at -20 C or is it more of a guess?

Discussion here recently.

This is all guessed data based on VI

No model can predict:
-wax formation
-ppd response, type and treat of ppd
-additive pack impact
-VM and add pack interaction
-branching of polymers
-synergistic effects of the above.

Reality is that both 0W-30 and 0W-40 are very similar here and the only difference is VM treat hence higher Kv100,HTHS and VI

Base oil viscosity can differ and in some cases there will be a slightly higher BOV with 0W-30 due to less VM allowing a CCS benefit Or higher BOV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back